Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Court brings forward decision on Donegal South-West by-election to Wednesday

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default High Court brings forward decision on Donegal South-West by-election to Wednesday

The High Court was due to issue a judgement on the action taken over the Donegal South-West by-election this Friday, but it's been announced this evening that judgement will actually made this Wednesday rather than Friday.

Sinn Féin Donegal Senator Pearse Doherty took a High Court challenge over the failure by the Government to hold a by-election in Donegal South-West. The challenge centres around the vacant seat in Donegal South-West as a result of the election of Pat The Cope Gallagher to the European Parliament in June of last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well that's not good for the Plaintiffs really. "Actually guys, this case is so crap, it took me far less time to write the judgment than I thought!"
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    The High Court was due to issue a judgement on the action taken over the Donegal South-West by-election this Friday, but it's been announced this evening that judgement will actually made this Wednesday rather than Friday.

Sinn Féin Donegal Senator Pearse Doherty took a High Court challenge over the failure by the Government to hold a by-election in Donegal South-West. The challenge centres around the vacant seat in Donegal South-West as a result of the election of Pat The Cope Gallagher to the European Parliament in June of last year.
    Surely if SF win it would also mean the two other by-elections would of had to be held before the budget what with the three weeks notice required.So in theory there may be a GE called?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Well that's not good for the Plaintiffs really. "Actually guys, this case is so crap, it took me far less time to write the judgment than I thought!"
    Or to allow sufficient time for the elections to be called before the budget.Sadly methinks you have hit the nail on the head.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Machdaddy View Post
    Or to allow sufficient time for the elections to be called before the budget.
    Nah, the losers will run to the supreme court.

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    That would be my reading of it as well.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    That would be my reading of it as well.
    = confirmation that Doherty will win the case.

In fact, he'll probably win 20.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is hard to see how they could lose when you read the Constitution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    = confirmation that Doherty will win the case.

In fact, he'll probably win 20.
    And this will give us the sight of a "modern democratic government" heading to the supreme court to prevent elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
    Nah, the losers will run to the supreme court.

Agreed, the government most certainly will if it goes against them. SF on the other hand may not as it is clearly a publicity stunt on their behalf.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast