Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady Gaga and the tricolour - time to grow up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Lady Gaga and the tricolour - time to grow up?

What is so bad about the National flag of our country to some Northerners? If it was a French flag would there be the same reaction? - no. In case you don't know a certain Unionist politician in the North (let's just call him "Jim" - obviously a fan of Lady Gaga) seems to have once again shown maturity by taking issue with Lady Gaga.

She/he is hardly the most intelligent or informed of the dynamics of Irish politics.

Union Jacks are waved at concerts in Dublin quite regularly when big British bands play....I don't see people ringing up Joe Duffy to moan about it - the Union Jack is a more evil looking flag then the tricolour IMO. (Not suggesting it's the flag of evil or anything) I like the tricolour - it's a nice flag. But to see people complaining - it's just so childish and immature. On BBC NI radio some woman rang up and said her daughter was "very distressed" - lol indeed!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-14991948.html
    Last edited by odlum; 1st November 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I was a Unionist Id be happy that the flag they hate so much was being so degraded....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's quite funny reading some of the reactions - the childishness is beyond belief.

At the very least, the flag represents a good proportion of the crowd. Perhaps she just didn't know about the division up there (though I wonder if there would be complaints if she had used a Union flag or the like), or perhaps she was trying to make a statement, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. If you don't like her, don't pay attention to her.

Given that when she mentioned Dublin at a concert in Belfast back in February a number of philistines in the crowd booed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkXjoZu1XTY"]YouTube - 10. GaGa Freaks Out When Belfast Crowd Boos Dublin and Speechless[/ame]

I can only guess she knew about the divisions and did it anyway.

If people who go to watch a strongly pro-gay rights singer with a reputation for doing bizarre things are shocked by the flying of a flag - it really says more about them than anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has Jim Allister actually complained about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Durty, provo-loving fenian, taig bitch.

Press release from the TUV
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A story I found more amusing from the local rags today was one (from the Newsletter I think) about unionist politicians complaining bitterly about union flags being burnt on bonfires last night, and about the size of, amount of tyres in, and proximity to people of the other side of, the bonfires themselves.

Of course I agree with them, but they must be able to smell the putrid stench of their hypocrisy.

Dissidents burn Union flags on bonfire - Belfast Today

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    A story I found more amusing from the local rags today was one (from the Newsletter I think) about unionist politicians complaining bitterly about union flags being burnt on bonfires last night, and about the size of, amount of tyres in, and proximity to people of the other side of, the bonfires themselves.

Of course I agree with them, but they must be able to smell the putrid stench of their hypocrisy.

Dissidents burn Union flags on bonfire - Belfast Today
    The words "Twilight Zone" seem appropriate.

On the one hand we have people rigning up claiming their daughters are apparently distressed by an American popstar parading Ireland's national flag (though not shocked by her biting the head off a Barbie doll in the exact same concert), on the other, certain Unionist politicians are crying blue murder over bonfires adorned with Union Jacks, while presumably having no problem with 12th bonfires lighting up Tricolours.

If Northern Ireland didn't exist, it would be some work to invent it.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unionist mopery.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    The words "Twilight Zone" seem appropriate.

On the one hand we have people rigning up claiming their daughters are apparently distressed by an American popstar parading Ireland's national flag (though not shocked by her biting the head off a Barbie doll in the exact same concert), on the other, certain Unionist politicians are crying blue murder over bonfires adorned with Union Jacks, while presumably having no problem with 12th bonfires lighting up Tricolours.

If Northern Ireland didn't exist, it would be some work to invent it.
    If the GFA there is the concept of parity of esteem between the two traditions in the six counties. We deserve respect, but we must also give respect in return. There are two narratives on the island.

We all need to travel a distance in respecting each other.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bit stupid on her advisors part to not know about these things but I would hardly get up in arms about it. I thought the shinner David Mckay's reaction was a lot worse earlier on in the year when he lambasted the Snow Patrol lead singer for putting on a Northern Ireland football top during a concert over here. Imagine the cheek of it.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast