Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't Ruairi Quinn Labour's Finance Spokesperson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why isn't Ruairi Quinn Labour's Finance Spokesperson?

I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held cabinet ministerial office before when we really need someone who has experience above all else. Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.

Surely Ruairi Quinn would be a much better finance spokesperson. He's run the department of finance before and most importantly he did a decent job! If Labour wants to lead the next government they can't be letting amateurs into serious government departments. Fine Gael has brought back Michael Noonan because we need cool heads and experienced politicians to see us through the crisis.

Should Labour do the same and bring back Quinn?
    Last edited by davehiggz; 2nd November 2010 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone asked Ruairi?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, he certainly was a good Minister of Finance, A pity he was so great with Bertie that he was able to givehim Thursday mornings off, which will no doubt continue in the next Dail ,I wonder why he does not like Enda as much when he undermined him on the pairing issue.
    Last edited by turdsl; 1st November 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Ruairi has had to take time to come back after being leader. but i agree he would be much better, and has great credibility. i think joan is excellent on tax issues, but quite narrow after that, and very good at defining what she is 'against', but not so much 'for'. however, i think again it is a pity to see a poster here talk about her 'voice' etc. she is a credible politician, and she was a junior minister before. not fair to use 'she/he hasn't ministerial experience' re fg or lab politicians, as it is so long since they have had power, you can't blame them for that! I think Joan would be an excellent Health or Social Protection Minister. She is genuinely committed to equality and fairness, but isn't afraid to take on vested interests (in the health service), or sacred cows (which need to be met head on with regard to Social Welfare)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davehiggz View Post
    I've always wondered why Joan Burton is Labour's finance spokesperson. She has never held ministerial office before
    Yes she has. SHe held one of the most important junior ministries when she was minister of state at the department of foreign affairs from 1994 to 97 at a time when the peace process was ongoing, having previously been minister of state at the department of social welfare.
    and it seems that many people would rather listen to nails on a blackboard than her voice.
    You know, I'm not sure what criteria FG use in appointing their front bench, but certainly in the LP, someone's voice doesn't really matter.
    Her recent appearances on radio and TV have been poor
    That's your (extremely biased) opinion. The last time I saw her on TV (on TWIP a few weeks back) her performance was stellar.
    and I think Varadkar was right to point out the flaws and lack of honesty or credible policy in the Eamon and Joan show.
    Again, you opnion, and Vlad's comments don't bare out in reality. For example, he said he heard Ruairi Quinn say that he was in favour of water charges, aand spun it as if Gilmore had not given his stance on the matter, whereas maybe a week earlier Gilmore came out in favour of water charges. Here's a good response
    Surely Ruairi Quinn would be a much better finance spokesperson. He's run the department of finance before and most importantly he did a decent job! If Labour wants to lead the next government they can't be letting amateurs into serious government departments.
    How exactly is Burton an amateur? She's a senior lecturer in accounting, chartered accountant, and former minister. She's performed well in her role so far.
    Fine Gael has brought back Michael Noonan because we need cool heads and experienced politicians to see us through the crisis.

Should Labour do the same and bring back Quinn?
    If Burton challenged Gilmore for the leadership, I have no doubt that Quinn would be considered for Finance, but she won't. Burton is a good performer by and large, knows her subject, and is appropriately qualified.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enda will hardly give Rhuarai Minister for finance now after the pairing thing

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Enda will hardly give Rhuarai Minister for finance now after the pairing thing

Ehh, In the event of a Lab/ FG coalition, Enda won't get to decide which Labour TDs become ministers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking at how well Lab are doing in the polls I can't see why they would change their finance spokesperson.
    However they could do with beefing up their economics team. Currently Joan is doing all the legwork.
    Penrose must be moved out of enterprise and replaced with Quinn or Rabbitte.
    I would also move Liz McManus out of Communications. She is an excellent TD but is retiring and so should probably be moved. It could make sense to replace her with Sean Sherlock who is underused in agriculture.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the sound of someone's voice is criteria for holding ministerial office , we're back to the " Up Mayo " school of politics. What a flute !

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By your own logic I assume you'll likely to start a thread imminently asking how Enda Kenny could possibly end up as Taoiseach given his relatively more junior cabinet role in the same government as Ruairi Quinn's more senior role.

Would Kenny yield to Quinn thus in this situation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast