Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food or cable TV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Food or cable TV?

Hello,
    I was listening to a radio report over the weekend.
    It contained interviews of 'inner city Dublin people' who were struggling to make the auld ends meet.
    A number of them, when listing their outgoings mentioned NTL ...'cos I have to have the telly'.
    They mentioned it in on a par with ESB, Gas and other essentials.

When asked later what would have to be sacrificed if further cuts to the pension or welfare occur they all said: 'Food'

Are these people for real?
    I understand that they might have little luxury in life and a bit of tubed entertainment and escapism is healthy but surely they need to re-prioritize. Now, if it came down to a real choice between food and TV I'm sure they would choose to survive but before it gets to that stage they could make a major saving each month.

Worst of all is that they could get 100 UK channels for free forever if they installed Freesat for the price of a few months subscription.

I don't understand why people subscribe to Sky or NTL or Chorus and then complain about the price of electricity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eyeSpy View Post
    Hello,
    It contained interviews of 'inner city Dublin people' who were struggling to make the auld ends meet.
    A number of them, when listing their outgoings mentioned NTL ...'cos I have to have the telly'.

When asked later what would have to be sacrificed if further cuts to the pension or welfare occur they all said: 'Food'

I understand that they might have little luxury in life and a bit of tubed entertainment and escapism is healthy but surely they need to re-prioritize. Now, if it came down to a real choice between food and TV I'm sure they would choose to survive but before it gets to that stage they could make a major saving each month.

Worst of all is that they could get 100 UK channels for free forever if they installed Freesat for the price of a few months subscription.

I don't understand why people subscribe to Sky or NTL or Chorus and then complain about the price of electricity.
    I heard a piece on the radio once about a long term unemployed person who was told she had to give up her pitbull because of the council who provided her with free accomodation did not like dangerous dogs roaming around the apartment block.

Some one came on an asked her how she could justify having a dog at all as they cost a couple of grand a year to look after and she was on social welfare and had 5 kids.
    She said she loved the dog more than her kids and no one could tell her what to do with her money.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard that piece as well. It was on This Week I think. I could not believe what I was hearing, satellite/cable TV was being elevated to a civil right of sorts.

It was also of note that she was saying that she was finding it hard to survive on here €230 pension. She mentioned rent of €52, it was that high because she has a grandson living with her. So what is that grandson contributing to the household as he is over 18 to be included in calculating the differential rent. Plus she mentioned the 'loansman' i.e. moneylender. And that she would be lucky to have a tenner left on a Sunday.

If she took out excessive loans from a moneylender thats her problem, not society's. The grandson should be paying into the household and the NTL is not a necessity of life. Why were these issues not thrown back at her?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eyeSpy View Post
    Hello,

Have you lived in the inner seat with the amount of money they get.
    Last edited by turdsl; 1st November 2010 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    Have you lived in the inner seat with the amount of money they get.
    sorry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The choice is NTL or unhealthy food? Those who suffer obesity most are the least 'well off'. So people who want NTL and can't live without it, also stuff their faces with unhealthy fast foot tripling their weekly food bill (at least). The issue here is education or more importantly the failure of education.

A great many people who live on benefits have been schooled in the state system which teaches home economics. Yet those who attended said schools still are more prone to an unhealthy (and expensive) fast food diet? Its a farce that has been supported and developed by welfare state thinking.

There is a comparable story that was on Today Tight years ago. Family of four of five, kids has sausages and cornflakes for the two meals they got a day. Both parents had 40 a day smoke habit, he liked his regular pints and she fluttered on the bingo. We have built a system that breeds this sort of stupidity and indeed seems to reward it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The god dam stupid poor with their dogs and their crap TV programmes!!

When are the people of this country going to wake up and realise it's not seanie or bertie we should be angry at it's all those 'lower order people'

I'm off to pm LeDroit see how well those right wing death squads are coming along
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I often wondered how people can live on a diet of chips and dutch gold and yet still still somehow give birth to gaggle of children while at the same time other productive members of society struggle to have kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    The god dam stupid poor with their dogs and their crap TV programmes!!

When are the people of this country going to wake up and realise it's not seanie or bertie we should be angry at it's all those 'lower order people'

I'm off to pm LeDroit see how well those right wing death squads are coming along
    come on now, basic choices people make can help their own situation. let's not get hysterical. and there's more to life than banging on about macro bull that most of us are bluffing at. we all can help with housekeeping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I often wondered how people can live on a diet of chips and dutch gold and yet still still somehow give birth to gaggle of children while at the same time other productive members of society struggle to have kids.
    Do you?

You must be a howl to be around.

I'd say it's down to the productive members of society being properly educated responsible adults with a social conscience whilst those brougt up on the margins without that education just repeat what they see at home.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast