Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 28k to be offered redundancy in HSE

Default 28k to be offered redundancy in HSE

HSE proposes major redundancy scheme - RT News

Some good news today. This is the first sign of the government really getting into the monsterous public sector wage bill which is dragging us down. Anyone who works in the HSE can point to a huge amount of pointless jobs that were created during the boom years.

Overall we need to lose between 50k and 100k in the public service.
    Last edited by Keith-M; 1st November 2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The thread title is very misleading. They are not cutting 28k jobs. They are targeting 4000-5000 redundancies from among the 28k employees in the relevant grades.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    The thread title is very misleading. They are not cutting 28k jobs. They are targeting 4000-5000 redundancies from among the 28k employees in the relevant grades.

Sorry, correct.
    I meant to say "28k to be offered redundancy in HSE", but I can't figure out how to correct it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how many will take the cash and then be rehired as consultants on higher pay?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

Overall we need to lose between 50k and 100k in the public service.
    How'd you arrive at that figure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe
    True.

It's also worth noting that a 400m package covering 5,000 employees comes to 80,000 per employee.
    I'm sure Keith-M will be back on the thread any moment now to welcome that figure and explain how it's good value for money.
    Maybe he'll even have a guess on where the state would find the money to pay off the other 95k employees he'd like to see lose their jobs. At the rate he's endorsing today, that would cost 7.2bn.

He might also let us know how the pointless jobs (which certainly exist, in volume) can be eliminated by a redundancy/early retirement scheme that is entirely voluntary in nature.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
    I wonder how many will take the cash and then be rehired as consultants on higher pay?
    By guaranteeing acceptance to all admin staff it may be necessary to do just that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€400 million is the estimated cost of the package, but presumably if you make so many people redundant they will qualify for unemployment benefit or pension. If these people are not required the question has to be asked why were they ever employed?
    A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
    That is happening every day at the moment.
    So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    How'd you arrive at that figure?
    Look at the adjustment and then proportion it out to the different areas of expenditure.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast