Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol 'most harmful drug'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alcohol 'most harmful drug'.

Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin.

A panel of experts weighed the physical, psychological and social problems caused by the drugs and determined that alcohol was the most harmful overall, according to an article on the study released by The Lancet Sunday.
    Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine were the most harmful drugs to individuals, the study says, while alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the most harmful to others.
    In the article, the panelists said their findings show that Britain's three-tiered drug classification system, which places drugs into different categories that determine criminal penalties for possession and dealing, has "little relation to the evidence of harm."
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/01/alcohol.harm/index.html?hpt=C1

Interesting results when you consider the wider implications of alcohol (beyond the user).
    No doubt this report will be attacked by the various VIs, but for the moment, it puts it in perspective.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Alcohol is an awful problem in this country, but will never be dealt with because we're all alcoholics of some kind.

The only cure to this problem is to legalise Marijuana. Increase the price of alchohol, introduce low alcohol level drinks at lower prices while increasing higher percentage alcohols.

Introduce alcohol to people at 16. Provide a class a week in scool during 2nd year to highlight the positive and negative effects of alcohol. Promote the new 2.5% alcohols.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read somewhere that if alcohol was introduced to humanity now.
    A pint a year would be all you could have because of toxicity, healt and safety etc, etc.
    Another outbreak of earnest well intentioned cause facism.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We all know this already, no need for a study. Hike taxes on booze in the upcoming budget... a euro for every drink sold would bring in at least 1 billion........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leave the booze alone, look what the clowns did in America and are still making matters worse today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But alcohol effectively keeps peoples brains from working properly.

If they clamp down on alcohol they'll have to put something in the water supply and that could be worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No doubt about it. I would be doing a hell of a lot less ambulance calls if it were not for alcohol. Be it the unconscious 15 year old getting hammered on a dolly mixture,the assault cases that make up the bulk of a saturday night or the 50 year olds with liver failure.
    It is used in moderation by the vast majority of individuals. Like all drugs there are some who take it to an extreme and some who get addicted to it.
    Legalising Marijuana wont make any difference. I certainly would not object to it being legalised here. I dont get many cases to solely marijuana related incidents.
    I dont however subscribe to the view that since poison A is legal we should also legalise poison B. That seems a bit stupid.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The abuse of Alcohol is a curse on any society.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    No doubt about it. I would be doing a hell of a lot less ambulance calls if it were not for alcohol. Be it the unconscious 15 year old getting hammered on a dolly mixture,the assault cases that make up the bulk of a saturday night or the 50 year olds with liver failure.
    It is used in moderation by the vast majority of individuals. Like all drugs there are some who take it to an extreme and some who get addicted to it.
    Legalising Marijuana wont make any difference. I certainly would not object to it being legalised here. I dont get many cases to solely marijuana related incidents.
    I dont however subscribe to the view that since poison A is legal we should also legalise poison B. That seems a bit stupid.
    strange you refer to cannabis as a posion, why is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just look at what alcohol did to the minds and morals of so many of our politicians and gombeen business men.
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast