Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Maria Callas and Elvis Presley mourned by a Musicologist.

Default Maria Callas and Elvis Presley mourned by a Musicologist.

Death becomes them

A very interesting article comparing the influence of two of the greatest vocalists in Opera, and popular music.

My grandchildren appreciate them both and that is how it should be. Just as we appreciate a Rembrandt and a Van Gogh.

What is beautiful to the ear or eye asserts itself. We need not be told.

Which famous vocalist first stopped you in your tracks?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZVUjddIeg]YouTube - Brian Cowen Live.3gp[/ame]

I did write, "Famous", vocalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    I did write, "Famous", vocalist.
    He is famous and vocal!

Mind you this love of Presley gets tiresome. He was a pop singer end of. A real vocalist would be Mercury!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MRKaHvc8E]YouTube - F.Mercury & M.Caballé - Barcelona Concert - Part 1 (1/3)[/ame]

Musical tastes vary enormously! But you know that anyway.

"As noted by Henry Pleasants, in his book "The Great American Popular singers", Elvis Presley was a baritone whose voice had an extraordinary compass - the so-called register- and a very wide range of vocal color.
    The voice covered two octaves and a third, from the baritone low-G to the tenor high B, with an upward extension in falsetto to at least a D flat. Presley's best octave was in the middle, D-flat to D-flat.
    In ballads and country songs he was able to belt out full-voiced high G's and A's, showing a remarkable ability to naturally assimilate styles, and elliciting a multiplicity of voices.
    Presley's range, albeit impressive in its own right, did not in itself make his voice that remarkable, at least in terms of how it measured against musical notation. What made it extraordinary, was where its center of gravity laid.
    By that measure, and according to Gregory Sandows, Music Professor at Columbia University, Elvis was all at once a bass, a baritone and a tenor, a most unique attribute amongst singers of any gender, both in the classical and popular music fields."

Freddie Mercury was okay. The general public will know a handful of his hits by title.

Elvis Presley on the other hand had dozens of hits over 50 years and became the world's most loved vocalist in popular music. That's why there are still Elvis Festivals all over the world.

Democracy rules.

No Opera or popular music buffs around ?

Music snobs of any description?

Okay I'll get my coat.

(Be careful this thread is on facebook)