Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Economic Denial

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Economic Denial

Over the weekend I was sat with a group of friends down the local pub. Of course the only thing people wanted to talk about was the Premier League results and the upcoming budget.

What struck me was how most of my friends didnt believe for one minute the government would introduce a harsh budget. There belief is that the budget will attack the rich and the only cuts in welfare would be the scrapping of child benefits for the rich and medical cards on wealthy pensioners.

I tried my best to explain to them that just hitting the rich wouldnt be enough to fill the gap in spending and that the only way to do this (rightly or wrongly) was to introduce a tough budget hiting all sectors of Ireland including the poor.

But as much as I tried they wouldnt have it, no way would the government do this was the reply.

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea wasnt even entertained, a flat no way was the response.

I actually think the reason why the Irish havent stood up to the government is because nobody thinks the government will introduce a harsh budget, and like my friends the government is in Economic denial.

Do I have a select few strange friends or is this the same for your friends and family across Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Over the weekend I was sat with a group of friends down the local pub. Of course the only thing people wanted to talk about was the Premier League results and the upcoming budget.

What struck me was how most of my friends didnt believe for one minute the government would introduce a harsh budget. There belief is that the budget will attack the rich and the only cuts in welfare would be the scrapping of child benefits for the rich and medical cards on wealthy pensioners.

I tried my best to explain to them that just hitting the rich wouldnt be enough to fill the gap in spending and that the only way to do this (rightly or wrongly) was to introduce a tough budget hiting all sectors of Ireland including the poor.

But as much as I tried they wouldnt have it, no way would the government do this was the reply.

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea was even entertained as a flat no way was the response.

I actually think the reason why the Irish havent stood up to the government is because nobody thinks the government will introduce a harsh budget, and like my friends the government is in Economic denial.

Do I have a select few strange friends or is this the same for your friends and family across Ireland?
    "Ignorance is bliss" --Your friends are in for a big shock on budget day!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly think it is worse than being in denial. People are totally ignorant of the situation we are in. It never ceases to amaze me how people have no clue of anything to do with economics or politics.
    I put this down partly to the lack of education in schools on these subjects and also to the apathy in general of the people. Both play into the establishment's hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People are idiots. Look at who they voted into power last time, consider who they'll vote into power next time. I wouldn't even trust them with the outcome for the X Factor. They are why we're in this mess, of course they can hardly believe it. I hope every last drop of child benefit and social security is cut to the bone and they finally become useful citizens, instead of lazy minded overfed dupes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People are oblivious and it won't hit them until they open pay packet in Jan. The loss of wages due to changes in tax credits changes etc will be very high. Irish people live in cloud when it comes to economic and politicial issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I then asked what would they do If the government did, but again this idea wasnt even entertained, a flat no way was the response.

No, i'd say your friends are the rule rather than the exception.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sheeple strike again
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is almost zero teaching in our schools regarding how our country is governed or funded.

I believe that is deliberate.

An ignorant uneducated populace suits the mandarins.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    There is almost zero teaching in our schools regarding how our country is governed or funded.

I believe that is deliberate.

An ignorant uneducated populace suits the mandarins.
    Do these peole not read newspapers or listen to the radio to keep themselves informed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Must be a very different clientele to those in my local. Had a chat with several of them over the weekend. Good mix of occupations though all were over 45. Included an ESB worker, 2 pensioners, an unemployed building worker and a taxi driver. All of them were very much conscious that a vicious budget was coming down the tracks. One of the bunch was a Fianna Fáil member who got quite a lot of stick even though he has long since stopped trying to defend his party.

All of them, including the FF'er, were agreed that not enough was being done to make the rich pay and that the least well of were suffering disproportionately.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast