Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Recession Bites as Pubs Deserted

Politics.ie Member Destiny's Soldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Recession Bites as Pubs Deserted

Never in my entire life going out in Cork have I witnessed so deserted a city centre as I did this weekend.

On friday night this week I went to what would normally be heaving pubs full of young people. Corkonians would be familiar with pubs like The Old Oak, Counihans, Clancys. All were pretty much empty and devoid of anyone under the age of 30. It was eerie to say the least.

Going through town the streets were fairly quiet and very little glamour from the normal revelling Cork City Centre.

I was often struck in recent celtic tiger years by the style and glam of the average 20 year old. Very little to be seen these days however.The only style on show this weekend were mostly overweight girls in high heels with skirts climing up their backsides. No class whatsoever.

If I were a 20 something I'd want out a here!

Is this the same picture across the country?
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But Conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;but one must take it simply because it is right. -MLK

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is Bluffo off the beer at the moment ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe they should lower the prices of the drinks. Publicans have been fleecing people for years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
    Maybe they should lower the prices of the drinks. Publicans have been fleecing people for years.
    That would be far too sensible for some publicans. I prefer to buy my cheap beer in the supermarkets in Aldi or Lidl.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny's Soldier View Post
    I was often struck in recent celtic tiger years by the style and glam of the average 20 year old. Very little to be seen these days however.The only style on show this weekend were mostly overweight girls in high heels with skirts climing up their backsides. No class whatsoever.

If I were a 20 something I'd want out a here!

Is this the same picture across the country?
    For whatever reason, I always find the women in Cork to be absolutely stunning, anytime I'm down there. If things are like you say, then we're in an even worse mess than I thought.....
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jazz Festival last weekend, maybe people having a rest this weekend?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The jazz was on last week, everyone is spent out I'd say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Reduce the prices and more people will head out for 1 or 2.

Couldn`t believe in my local on a Saturday night after Leinster on the box that the pub did not get busy until after about 10.30pm

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government make far more than the publican on booze. Lease a pub for a few months and see what it costs to run a watering hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member Destiny's Soldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in the 80's recession with little money around, the pubs were still full. A pint then was around 1.60.

I paid 4.70 for a pint of Bud this weekend. Seems pubs will have to drop prices and do something imaginative to win customers back.
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But Conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;but one must take it simply because it is right. -MLK

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast