Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Production-line Childbirth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Production-line Childbirth

We've had the scandals of symphysiotomies and unwarranted hysterectomies yet it seems the States attitude to pregnant women remains unchanged.
    A symphysiotomy was ‘done for her own good’; the same reasoning used for unnecessary hysterectomies and here we go again -

SUPPORTERS OF a woman’s right to have a home birth say the practice could be driven underground if new legislation is passed....

C. would not have been allowed to have her second baby at home five weeks ago either because her first baby was born by Caesarean section. Under the bill, all women in her situation would have to give birth in a hospital....

From a practical point of view, if a pregnant woman refused to go to hospital 24 hours after her waters had broken, the midwife would have to leave the scene under the new legislation.

Fight for home birth continues - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 26, 2010

Straitjackets anybody?
    "We’re entering an era of outsourced censorship, where the terrible things once done by the state are now done by Silicon Valley suits."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the professionals involved consider the home birth to be a risk to the mother or the child, they should not be obliged to attend/take responsibility for this woman's delivery at home.

The mother has the freedom to choose whether to give birth at home without professional supervision, or to give birth in hospital as the professionals advised.
    She just cannot force professionals to take responsibility for the risks her choice poses.
    Last edited by uriah; 31st October 2010 at 10:15 PM.
    “A man who will misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything” (Con Houlihan)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most women opting for home births would be middle class and probably have health insurance. To go semi-private still costs about E4,000. Me thinks the government want to stamp this out because they don't want to miss out on those private health insurance payments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I'm having an operation, can I request the surgeons perform it in my garage?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Tricky one for sure and a bit unfair to lump this one in with symphosiotomies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Such an opinion
    might be relevant if pregnancy was some kind of illness. It isn't.
    I realise that's news to some people.
    "We’re entering an era of outsourced censorship, where the terrible things once done by the state are now done by Silicon Valley suits."

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That would depend on whether they were removing your spark plug or doing a refill, wouldn't it? I think a refill is called for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

florin you're missing the point. Birth is a life event not a sickness. It is not in the operation category as such. Hospitals in relation to birth are wonderful when the mother and child do need intervention but this is actually a small percentage of women. The reality is that we should have 80-90% of women giving birth at home with one to one woman centred care and the 10-20% that need "an operation" in hospital. But women have been frightened out of their power and for the most part have very unsatisfactory birth experiences that don't do them, the baby or the future family any favours.
    Birth is a natural process that most women can do very well given the right kind of support and environment. It is a statistical fact that intervention leads to more intervention. Plus this is just greedy medical profession tightening the net on the few free and empowered women who quite rightly see through it all.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We live in the 21st century - women should be giving birth in hospital.
    Should we bring back leeches and bleeding to suit the troglydytes?
    How about putting a wooden spoon between a patient's teeth and sawing off his leg?
    Could we cautherise wounds with red hot pokers too?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast