Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Colm McCarthy brilliant on Marian RTER1 Show

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Colm McCarthy brilliant on Marian RTER1 Show

Marian Finucane show on RTE Rad 1 right now and it's powerful stuff.
    Super panel : Colm McCarthy, Michael O'Regan, Tom Parlon, Catherine McGuinness and ors.
    Colm McCarthy, in particular was outstandingly good. He is at his best when he is firing from the hip as he has such insightful and intimate knowledge that he can hit the target at will with deft pungent sniper shots that leave a lasting impression on the listener and send his detractors reeling.

But all the panel made telling contributions. If you didn't hear, then you should cos there's a whole lot of home truths laid bare right there and some remedies too. Best Marion Show in a long time.

Some,I know, will worry about what lies ahead.
    Interesting times in 2011 AD, methinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brussels - world capital of mission-creep, says McCarthy.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
    Marian Finucane show on RTE Rad 1 right now and it's powerful stuff.
    Super panel : Colm McCarthy, Michael O'Regan, Tom Parlon, Catherine McGuinness and ors.
    Colm McCarthy, in particular was outstandingly good. He is at his best when he is firing from the hip as he has such insightful and intimate knowledge that he can hit the target at will with deft pungent sniper shots that leave a lasting impression on the listener and send his detractors reeling.

But all the panel made telling contributions. If you didn't hear, then you should cos there's a whole lot of home truths laid bare right there and some remedies too. Best Marion Show in a long time.

Some,I know, will worry about what lies ahead.
    Interesting times in 2011 AD, methinks.
    MCarthy is an economist and has as much credibility and relevance as every other economist - ie, none.

Their's is not a definite science based on hard facts and definite figures but an alchemy based on assumpitions and wildly optimistic/pessimistic predictions which seldom bare any relation to reality.

Irish economists have been consistently and spectacularly wrong over the last 30 years - why would any sane person listen to anything any of them have to say now?

McCarthy's medicine will kill off what is left of the economy and then stand back and blame the politicians who blindly follow his - like all of his ilk always do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote from James Heckman; Economist and Nobel Laureate:

"I wish I knew more and I wish our profession did.Macro economics is not a science, it's a patchwork of theorems and bad data. There is little serious work on the subject, which seems dominated by beliefs."

I said it before and I'll say it again: Economists are spoofers who don't deserve to be paid for their "work". It's a load of guesswork.

The Mcarthy report could have been done by pretty much anyone on this forum on the back of a beermat. In fact, it probably has!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    MCarthy is an economist and has as much credibility and relevance as every other economist - ie, none.

Their's is not a definite science based on hard facts and definite figures but an alchemy based on assumpitions and wildly optimistic/pessimistic predictions which seldom bare any relation to reality.

Irish economists have been consistently and spectacularly wrong over the last 30 years - why would any sane person listen to anything any of them have to say now?

McCarthy's medicine will kill off what is left of the economy and then stand back and blame the politicians who blindly follow his - like all of his ilk always do.
    Are you an ostrich?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olamp View Post
    Are you an ostrich?
    Far from it - I've just seen too many economists get it so wrong over the last 30 years that I simply no longer believe or trust anything any of them say. They have as much credibility as politicians.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the contrary, economics is little more than common sense.

You don't need someone with a PhD to point out that the State can't forever spend 20bn a year more than it raises in taxes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Typical FF biased panel from F.f.finucane.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    Far from it - I've just seen too many economists get it so wrong over the last 30 years that I simply no longer believe or trust anything any of them say. They have as much credibility as politicians.
    McCarthy is exceptional for an economist, he deals exclusively with reality.
    He talks sense based on the information we have and the reality as it is. That's largely why some people don't like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I hear Tom "The Builder" Parlon...........I switch over...always
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast