Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowen's job is no easy task

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cowen's job is no easy task

This is a letter from the Sindo which must be heartening for the Taoiseach!

Sir -- I have been disgusted in recent times to see how quickly the media and the public have turned on Brian Cowen. The newspapers have given Brian Cowen the nickname Biffo, and this is detrimental to his reputation and utterly childish. I am of the opinion that it is harder to be a great Taoiseach in the bad times than it was in the boom times. Bertie Ahern became the nation's sweetheart because his job was easy. It was very easy for him to make the popular decisions and become the Taoiseach that everyone adored. Would Bertie do a better job if he was Taoiseach now?

Brian Cowen has to make the difficult decisions, and whatever decision he makes will either be publicly unpopular or economically damaging. It seems he is in a lose-lose situation, and neither Enda Kenny nor Eamon Gilmore would do a better job. It is easy for Kenny and Gilmore to point out economic flaws and offer up the fairytale solution, but politics is no fairytale.

Cowen was never given the chance to succeed as Taoiseach, but it seems the media and public will not be happy until another incompetent leader is put in charge. Anyone could have been a successful Taoiseach in Celtic Tiger Ireland, but the job isn't as straightforward now. Is a change of face the ultimate solution to our downfall?

Justin Kelly,
    Edenderry, Co Offaly
    I believe this incompetent deputy was a failure in all the senior posts he held and hence the nickname. The nickname was justly bestowed on him many years age, long before he got the reins on the country into his inept hands!

Politics is a fairytale all right but our fairytale doesn't have a happy ending.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's claiming Bertie was successful!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The writer is more than likely some cumamm drone.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edenderry is Ger Killally country. I would advise anyone to read BUST by Dearbhail MacDonald for an overview of all the cute hoors who have brought the country to its knees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This message board fascinates me more and more. Thread after thread attacking FF and why not its all part of the political game. I am reminded of childhood when one kid would say to another my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy and my Daddy is a better footballer than your Daddy. The difference between this childish attitude and the children on message boards is that those kids believed their Daddy was better than the other Daddy. The juveniles here just want to call the other a bolllox and never make the claim their Daddy is better. Has to be becuase they know damn well their Daddy is nothing but a useless waster pretending to be something he is not

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That letter just shows what the Irish electorate are,their thinking and the way they vote.
    The parish pump is still flying.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Firstly, anybody who thinks Berie Ahern was a good leader is deluded. To be a good leader you need many qualities, the 2 most important being you must be able to make tough decisions in good times and bad. Secondly you need to be able to select intelligent capable people with an ability to manage.
    bertie Ahern picked people because of who they were rather than their ability and appointed both McCreevy and Cowne as Ministers for Finance with disasterous consequences fior this country.
    Cowen seems unable to make any type of decision and the governmrnt is really being run by Lenihan and Gormley.
    If you look at the front bench on any day in the Dail it is clear that there is a real lack of ability and indeed interest.
    You can judge people by the company they keep and you can judge leaders by the people they appoint, and in this Cowen cannot be judged either good or capable.
    A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    This message board fascinates me more and more. Thread after thread attacking FF and why not its all part of the political game. I am reminded of childhood when one kid would say to another my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy and my Daddy is a better footballer than your Daddy. The difference between this childish attitude and the children on message boards is that those kids believed their Daddy was better than the other Daddy. The juveniles here just want to call the other a bolllox and never make the claim their Daddy is better. Has to be becuase they know damn well their Daddy is nothing but a useless waster pretending to be something he is not
    This is bringing stupidity to even lower levels! Your corrupt and incompetent party have ruined this nation. That, and only that is why the come in for the well deserved derision that is showered on them.

The remaining hacks, such as yourself, do them even further disservice by keeping them in the limelight with your inane apologism. Just keep posting as we do need a laugh in these bitter times.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    When its comes to corruption

FFailers proclaim "Who is the Daddy"

They and we know its them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes. It's hard to be THAT bad at your job. That requires great effort (eg swilling pints and singing The lakes of ponchatrane till 3 in the morning).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast