Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Will the latest attempted terror attack result in an invasion somewhere?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Behind You..........(Boo!)
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Will the latest attempted terror attack result in an invasion somewhere?

    US cargo plane carried explosives, police say - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 30, 2010

    Just a thought but is there any chance that the latest attempted terror attack, once the decide who is actually responsible and where they are, might be the first indicator of the next target for US forces in the WAR ON TERROR?

    Are the US and their allies going to launch counter terrorist strikes or (maybe a bit of a stretch) invade another country that is ripe for regime change?

    Are US and Allied forces too stretched as it is to mount another invasion?
    "Never in the field of human endeavour was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

  2. #2

    Default

    Well, the U.S. is already bombing Yemen and has been for the last 11 months or so, so I don't predict much of a change.

  3. #3
    Ex-Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In a house. For now at least.
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilenee View Post
    Well, the U.S. is already bombing Yemen and has been for the last 11 months or so, so I don't predict much of a change.
    Why are they bombing the bloody Yemen. That poor country has been torn apart by civil war for ever. What have the Yeminis done Kilenee?
    Last edited by Lazarus; 31st October 2010 at 12:38 AM.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member cry freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Why are they bombing the bloody Yemen. That poor country has been turn apart by civil war for ever. What have the Yeminis done Kilenee?
    I think this was the start of it!

    Recovery of the USS Cole

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilenee View Post
    Well, the U.S. is already bombing Yemen and has been for the last 11 months or so, so I don't predict much of a change.
    You have proof of this sweeping statement?

  6. #6

    Default

    A quick Google search gave me these articles, I could find some more if you're still not convinced:
    American drones deployed to target Yemeni terrorist - Telegraph

    Return of the drones in Yemen | FP Passport

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8MtOKYb1Y&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Inside Story - Yemen's 'war on terror' - 27 Dec 09[/ame]

    Waq al-Waq: More Drones in Yemen

    This is in Arabic, but you could run it through a Google translator if you don't know Arabic.
    .. -

    Drones Spur Yemenis' Distrust of Government and US | CommonDreams.org

    I also tried to use a variety of sources to combat allegations of bias.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Why are they bombing the bloody Yemen. That poor country has been torn apart by civil war for ever. What have the Yeminis done Kilenee?
    Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    I think this was the start of it!

    Recovery of the USS Cole
    While the bombing was carried out in Yemen, a U.S. Federal judge ruled that the the Sudanese government (in conjunction with al-Qa'ida) was responsible for the bombing, not Yemen. The only person charged in connection with the bombing who hasn't been released or ruled innocent is a Saudi Arabian currently residing in Guantanamo Bay.
    And it would be ridiculous for the U.S. to bomb Yemen in response to that. If the U.S. had the right to bomb the country it occurred in, nevermind the fact the nation itself was not responsible, then the Dutch would be fully within their rights to bomb New Zealand in response to the French bombing of the Rainbow Warrior. Clearly, that's not going to happen.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The global armies and international security companies/contractors are
    lapping this all up. Their business is guns and violence. There is a slow
    erosion of civil liberties and human rights that we must be aware of.
    Now when they say jump we ask 'how high?'.
    It's a sad state of affairs.
    Any 'authourity can claim anything? We're just jumping through hoops
    with no end in sight.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilenee View Post
    While the bombing was carried out in Yemen, a U.S. Federal judge ruled that the the Sudanese government (in conjunction with al-Qa'ida) was responsible for the bombing, not Yemen. The only person charged in connection with the bombing who hasn't been released or ruled innocent is a Saudi Arabian currently residing in Guantanamo Bay.
    And it would be ridiculous for the U.S. to bomb Yemen in response to that. If the U.S. had the right to bomb the country it occurred in, nevermind the fact the nation itself was not responsible, then the Dutch would be fully within their rights to bomb New Zealand in response to the French bombing of the Rainbow Warrior. Clearly, that's not going to happen.
    But didn't you know that the US has sole preemptive rights in the world -
    something they have granted themselves?
    But no one else can without prior US approval.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Thac0man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kildare/Dublin
    Posts
    6,475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilenee View Post
    A quick Google search gave me these articles, I could find some more if you're still not convinced:
    There are many factors in Yeman that are leading to strife.

    The majority of Al Queda in Yeman are Saudi.

    There is also the north south divide in the country which is reemerging after a few years of unity.

    And of course the Houthi in the north who rebelled recently.

    Irans influence on Shia groups is another factor.

    The presense of Al Queda in Yeman, or the moving there of its Saudi element, has been largely facilitated by the instability in the country. Yeman is not a failed state but does have the ingredients of one. If Yeman 'failed' though it would result in a redivision of the country. So it would become two states instead of one failed one.

    The question then is who has the most influence in either of those nations and US concerns are entirely secondry to the emerging power struggle between Shia and Sunni groups. This whole mess is being played out on the Saudi peninsula lets not forget.
    Last edited by Thac0man; 1st November 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •