Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Brian Cowen Democratic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Brian Cowen Democratic?

Yes Brian has the law on his side, he is 'legally' entitled to lead this country until July,2012. However is he morally and democratically justified in this position as most opinion polls show a large swing for oposition parties? Within a democracy should the leader not have to listen to voters opinions?

As it were, BC was not elected as Taoiseach (God love the poor sheep in this country, they voted for a horse gambling, cupboard sitting man without a bank a/c (one has to wonder if his crystal ball told him what would happen to those banks)) . Rather he took office as the MoF, ie a Dept that should have been working towards keeping our finances in order rather than destroying them!

Gordon Brown in Britain had the decency to hold his hands up and call a GE as that was what his people wanted. Our government appears to be fast enough at giving us a second chance to 'get a referendum right' to suit the EU ie anyone remember the Nice and Lisbon treaties?? How about the government listens to it's own people for once?
    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. GB Shaw

Who cares?

Democracy is a means, not an end.

Nobody votes for a Taoiseach in Ireland aside from 165 members of Dail Eireann or did you not realise that ?

You want Govt by opinion poll do you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Nobody votes for a Taoiseach in Ireland aside from 165 members of Dail Eireann or did you not realise that ?

You want Govt by opinion poll do you ?
    Yes I do realise that the ordinary Joe Soap doesn't vote for the position of Taoiseach, but the FF party was voted in under different leadership! Who's to say how people would have voted if BC had been leader of the party at the time, hence my comparrison to Britain and Tony Blair/Gordon Brown.

And does a series of opinion polls (all pretty much with the same results) not show how the country is feeling about our government and therefore should the people not have the right to voice those opinions officially ie by voting?
    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. GB Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by berberie View Post
    Yes I do realise that the ordinary Joe Soap doesn't vote for the position of Taoiseach, but the FF party was voted in under different leadership! Who's to say how people would have voted if BC had been leader of the party at the time, hence my comparrison to Britain and Tony Blair/Gordon Brown.

And does a series of opinion polls (all pretty much with the same results) not show how the country is feeling about our government and therefore should the people not have the right to voice those opinions officially ie by voting?

FF is not a democratic organisation. BTW, can you name a mafia that is democratic? I can't think of any.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Your comparison to the UK is horsecrap because UK Govt was time barred and an election legally had to be held.............were you even aware of this ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is not a Democracy. It is an Aristocracy, in which Dail seats are inherited by a generation less competent and more greedy than the generation that went before it. But the adoring peasants love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    FF is not a democratic organisation. BTW, can you name a mafia that is democratic? I can't think of any.
    Very good point petunia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brian Cowan is not democratic.
    For fe.. sake he is f.f.
    You get what you deserve! How many vote for what a party offers but for candidate that promises what suits you. job ! social security benefit! etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gordon Brown in Britain had the decency to hold his hands up and call a GE as that was what his people wanted.
    The word decency, and our ruling scum should never be uttered in the same sentence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast