Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ireland World Leaders- in pay from public funds.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland World Leaders- in pay from public funds.

The fact that so many people in Ireland earn huge salaries mostly at our expense exasperates me. Whether it be President; Taoiseach; Ministers; Broadcasters like Finucane, Duffy etc; Higher civil servants; Judges and others who are world leaders in terms of salary for a country the size of greater Manchester is something awesome.I know bankers paid themselves off with our funds too ! How did it come to this and where and when did it really take off. I know we had Devlin, and Buckley reports and of course, benchmarking, but I do not really have the knowledge and insight into it all. I am merely looking for knowledge and would like the views of others who may have some or most of answers that I do not, in my ignorance, have.
    Last edited by Tomas Mor; 30th October 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Taoiseach’s salary is €228,466 and we borrow €2 for every €5 we spend. So to pay Brians salary we borrow €91386, because €137079 is not enough...and that does not include expenses
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    The Taoiseach’s salary is €228,466 and we borrow €2 for every €5 we spend. So to pay Brians salary we borrow €91386, because €137079 is not enough...and that does not include expenses

Ok, I agree but he is just one , but bigger question is , how did it all come to this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you make up the rules for yourself, and the Irish people....well......

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally blame Ahern and McCreevy. McCreevy had this Thatcherite view that by cutting taxes you can increase wealth-generation. But then Ahern-McCreevy decided that with the increasing tax revenues they could buy off public sector votes. The PDs did their bit for the professional classes. Between them all, it took a mere few years to establish the notion that a high-ranking civil servant and public/private sector professional should earn no less than €150,000 and the more beknighted of them a cool quarter of a mill. Natch, this included ministers, Taoisigh, judges.

All you have to do is listen to FF shills side-stepping questions about whether they should accept (further) pay cuts on the basis that their pay must be linked to certain civil service grades, to understand how much they consider income of up to 200k p.a. as an entitlement.

Translate this unwillingness to show responsible leadership across the senior echelons of the civil service and innumerable quangos, and you can see how the whole self-serving charade adds up to the ludicrous billions we could never really afford in the first place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's called the welfare state and Auction politics.The bould Bertie when he became boss kicked the welfare vote buying in at 120mph ,sure isn't great using other peoples money.We are now see how destructive it is having clueless populists vote buyers in the Dail.Now isn't great that the two Brainless Brians can get loadsa rubbish money from the ECB created out of thin air to keep the the country going.
    What we are seeing is a decline of the Western welfare state vote buying ,money printing,debt ridden governments that will eventually default on their debts.
    The fun is only starting and people are starting to wake up
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a result of Martin Ferris drawing the attention of an empty Dáil chamber to our eminent judges I have just found out the following facts:

The US Chief Justice earns at today's exchange rates €166698, while John Murray gets €295916.

A US Supreme Court Judge gets €153789, while an Irish SC judge gets€257872.

Our High Court Judges get €243080, Circuit Court Judges get €177554, and District Court Judges get €147961.

I have no idea how many state cars and drivers our judges are entitled to. Does anybody out there know?

If salaries reflect innate judicial abily surely the time has come to try to persuade the US government to use our judges.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ppcoyle View Post
    As a result of Martin Ferris drawing the attention of an empty Dáil chamber to our eminent judges I have just found out the following facts:

The US Chief Justice earns at today's exchange rates €166698, while John Murray gets €295916.

Our High Court Judges get €243080, Circuit Court Judges get €177554, and District Court Judges get €147961.

I have no idea how many state cars and drivers our judges are entitled to. Does anybody out there know?

If salaries reflect innate judicial abily surely the time has come to try to persuade the US government to use our judges.
    I know every judge (except district justices) gets an official driver, who may act as tipstaff as well. So all judges, circuit, high and supreme court have drivers. I think they supply their own cars and get paid expenses for that. Not sure if chief justice has a garda driver. The DPP and AG have. Great little country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best thing that can happen is that the dail is empty.They are useless and only create havoc when they are in session.Our politicians are now just puppets for the banksters ,ECB and bigger Eu countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcoyle View Post

A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atlantic View Post
    The best thing that can happen is that the dail is empty.They are useless and only create havoc when they are in session.Our politicians are now just puppets for the banksters ,ECB and bigger Eu countries.
    Plenty of smaller EU countries are not in thrall to "banksters, ECB and bigger EU countries". Plenty of small countries know how to run a small country, and how to control their public spending.

Any positive suggestions atlantic? As opposed to poor-mouth "victim" posturing and a bully complex?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast