Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Protestant women happier with church than Catholics

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Protestant women happier with church than Catholics

This makes for interesting reading .

Protestant women happier with church than Catholics

Almost three-quarters of Catholic women do not feel their church “regards women with a lot of respect” in contrast to 94 per cent of Protestant women who feel they are respected.
    and

Both groups of women were tolerant of abortion in defined circumstances with 90 per cent of Catholic women and 97 per cent of Protestant women agreeing that “abortion should be allowed if the pregnancy seriously endangers the life of the mother”.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not particularly surprising given that women may be ordained in the Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches and that each of the same has heavy involvement from the laiety, in many cases dominated by female laiety.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Not particularly surprising given that women may be ordained in the Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches and that each of the same has heavy involvement from the laiety, in many cases dominated by female laiety.
    Didn't you find the abortion figures surprising ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Didn't you find the abortion figures surprising ?
    No because that has long been the position of the main Protestant Churches regarding the health of the mother and quite clearly has become the dominant opinion among the Catholic laiety. It has become increasingly clear that the Catholic laeity has opinions quite divergent from that of the Vatican, I'm surprised that you had not noticed this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    No because that has long been the position of the main Protestant Churches regarding the health of the mother and quite clearly has become the dominant opinion among the Catholic laiety. It has become increasingly clear that the Catholic laeity has opinions quite divergent from that of the Vatican, I'm surprised that you had not noticed this.
    Would you say that 90% would be reflected in the male catholic laity ?

( It was claimed elsewhere that Catholic women are amongst the strongest opponents of abortion )

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im surprised anyone is against abortion when it seriously troubles the health of the mother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actions speak louder than words. When the Irish Times ran a campaign, sustained over a sizeable number of weeks, to have women boycott a mass, the precise impact was bugger all. Geraldine Kennedy and the Irish Times are still scarlet with the humiliation of that failure, hence the appearance of tendentious and unashamedly sectarian pieces such as this.

It's sulky child lashing out because they didn't get their way, nothing more.
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There seems to be some kind of hidden assumption here that the purpose of religion is to make one happy. Apart from a few minor religions, that is not really true.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    Im surprised anyone is against abortion when it seriously troubles the health of the mother.
    Yes, health (including mental health) should be the defining criteria not the life of the mother.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
    Actions speak louder than words. When the Irish Times ran a campaign, sustained over a sizeable number of weeks, to have women boycott a mass, the precise impact was bugger all. Geraldine Kennedy and the Irish Times are still scarlet with the humiliation of that failure, hence the appearance of tendentious and unashamedly sectarian pieces such as this.

It's sulky child lashing out because they didn't get their way, nothing more.
    As someone who lapsed for a very long time,and has seen the outside,
    I think that in spite of it's faults ,it is better for humanity ,than the likes of the G.K.s and their ways.
    I am very emancipated ,and I am sure that many priests know less than me about religion,and would not agree with me in many ways
    But better the C.Church in it's totality than the Emptiness of these people.
    Christ loved women ,it is obvious ,but he did not make any of them 'apostles' [priests].
    Women are highly involved in the church in the world ,in so many ways ,and more and more.
    Ireland might be a bit behind ,but it is coming.
    Just to add a note ,that there is no doubt that years ago they were too hard with women,but then so was all of society.
    These atheists offer nothing to lift our spirits ,since they are total
    'materialists'.
    The Roman Catholic church with All it's faults [any they are many] still has
    a connnection to the Divine which no other church can come near.
    You can see it in France esp.
    The poeple who are a 'bit' Catholic as opposed to long term atheist, it can be seen in their 'spirit'.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast