Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: China's New Super Computer, the Fastest!

  1. #1

    Default China's New Super Computer, the Fastest!

    BBC News - China claims supercomputer crown

    Should we human chess players sling in the towel now?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder how much it would cost to dethrone it,by building a supercomputer with Tesla GPU's instead and AMD instead of intel.
    Last edited by TaxHavenSite; 29th October 2010 at 06:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    2,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Can it play TF2 or CSS?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaxHavenSite View Post
    I wonder how much it would cost to dethrone it,by building a supercomputer with Tesla GPU's instead and AMD instead of intel.

    42

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Playing nethack on that would be some experience.

    Does anyone know what it will be used for?
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    Playing nethack on that would be some experience.

    Does anyone know what it will be used for?
    Just click on the link to the story. Simple as that.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Just click on the link to the story. Simple as that.
    Sorry, I had read the article but somehow missed the last paragraph.

    They are good uses for it I suppose. The maths behind weather forecasting is supposed to be very complex and difficult and traditionally fairly unreliable. Maybe with stronger computing power, prediction capabilities can be improved.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    Sorry, I had read the article but somehow missed the last paragraph.

    They are good uses for it I suppose. The maths behind weather forecasting is supposed to be very complex and difficult and traditionally fairly unreliable. Maybe with stronger computing power, prediction capabilities can be improved.
    That's okay. Sometimes our own computer "does not compute".

    Yes you are right about weather forcasts, they are pretty unreliabe after about seven days.
    Even one day here in Ireland.

    We are living in very interesting times as far as technology is concerned. We oldies are definitely challenged by it.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie Cork Socialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian-right View Post
    Can it play TF2 or CSS?
    If it can't then wants the point in it ?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaxHavenSite View Post
    I wonder how much it would cost to dethrone it,by building a supercomputer with Tesla GPU's instead and AMD instead of intel.
    Tianhe-1A is built with Teslas - Nvidia make the Tesla cards. The previous machine Tianhe-1 used ATI GPUs to offload calculations. Problem is most codes have been ported to CUDA (the Nvidia GPU language) rather than OpenCL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •