Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: School leaving age

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default School leaving age

I wrote about this in my other thread but i think this topic needs its own thread here in the education forum. The legal age to drop out of education in ireland is 16. The Uk is bringing their school leaving age up from 16 to 18 in 2012 and Italy already did this a couple of years ago. Should ireland do the same ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget558 View Post
    I wrote about this in my other thread but i think this topic needs its own thread here in the education forum. The legal age to drop out of education in ireland is 16. The Uk is bringing their school leaving age up from 16 to 18 in 2012 and Italy already did this a couple of years ago. Should ireland do the same ?
    Any marked improvement in Italy ?

I left school at 15 in the UK. It was the norm in 1957.

Married at 17.
    Raised a family and read myself wise.

Did I miss anything?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well teachers are telling young people in the class room these days that there is no hope for them unless they do their leaving cert and go to universty, i agree this is ************************************************ talk, i agree that its not always A and B there is always c.

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are many kids in school that are not a academically inclined in a system that is points driven. These are the kids that struggle with staying in school. The LCA programme had proved effective in assisting these students in continuing their education, but what does the government do? They cut the funding to LCA and drive more kids out of education. Coupled with the proposed increase in PLC course fees, the establishment have demonstrated they don't give a fiddlers about these kids.
    Separate Church and State