Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: How come the Rainbow Coalition fails to get the credit it deserves?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How come the Rainbow Coalition fails to get the credit it deserves?

FF supporters only remaining crutch appears to be the "sure they're all the same" and "can you imagine FG and Lab working together" replies to any criticism about FF. This always strikes me as extremely stupid given the huge contribution the Rainbow Coalition made to our economy, from very an extremely low baseline, up to 1997.

It's as if people have completely forgotten this piece of very recent history - maybe because R.T.FF have never really covered it since Bertie bought his way to Government with promises of spending tax payers money. In 1997 FF basically saw an opportunity to squander the resuts of the economic growth created by the Rainbow Government, and have just kept on squandering it beyond all reason to now leave us with a €50bn overdraft.

The Rainbow Gov worked because it had to balance two different ideologies, so any agreed policy had to satify more stringent requirements - FF's coalitions have been laughable - the PDs had never really left the fold, and maybe that was the plan all along - to give the appearance of balance, and the Greens - well, they were just power hungry and wanted the trappings, so really FF has been unfettered for 14 years.

Now that we're nearly at a point where FF can be consigned to the dustbin - hopefully for ever - can people just do a bit of homework on the last FG/Lab government and hopefully satify themselves they have the pedigree - if for no other reason than to get FF apologists to shut up!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    FF supporters only remaining crutch appears to be the "sure they're all the same" and "can you imagine FG and Lab working together" replies to any criticism about FF. This always strikes me as extremely stupid given the huge contribution the Rainbow Coalition made to our economy, from very an extremely low baseline, up to 1997.

It's as if people have completely forgotten this piece of very recent history - maybe because R.T.FF have never really covered it since Bertie bought his way to Government with promises of spending tax payers money. In 1997 FF basically saw an opportunity to squander the resuts of the economic growth created by the Rainbow Government, and have just kept on squandering it beyond all reason to now leave us with a €50bn overdraft.

The Rainbow Gov worked because it had to balance two different ideologies, so any agreed policy had to satify more stringent requirements - FF's coalitions have been laughable - the PDs had never really left the fold, and maybe that was the plan all along - to give the appearance of balance, and the Greens - well, they were just power hungry and wanted the trappings, so really FF has been unfettered for 14 years.

Now that we're nearly at a point where FF can be consigned to the dustbin - hopefully for ever - can people just do a bit of homework on the last FG/Lab government and hopefully satify themselves they have the pedigree - if for no other reason than to get FF apologists to shut up!!!
    It doesnt matter who was in power from 94-97 the reason the economy took off that time was because of all the money the country milked from the eu. Irish people got very greedy and wanted more and more and more and more and more and more and now think that its only FF and the bankers that are to blame for the mess

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could you state some of the achievements of the Three Stooges. I can't think of any.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

free third level fees
    budget surplus or on target for one iirc
    falling unemployment
    abolition of section 31
    im sure there is more.

I agree with the op's sentiment. I believe a similar situation is developing in britain with the current tory/lib dem gov. Both extremes from each other but both i believe will work quite well and seem to be so far.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reason, FF rule the roost here, most media like O Reilly group, and RTE back them. They are/were the state. Only when minor "Blips" occurr does some blame attach to them. But that is soon forgotten as will the present mess, in fact they masy get credit for "pulling us though and taking tough decisions".
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Could you state some of the achievements of the Three Stooges. I can't think of any.
    Real econmic growth, huge FDI well managed by a proactive IDA, a Fas that actually trained and prepared the unemployed as opposed to providing free travel to trade unionists and ministers, prudent budgets, a sense of democracy that's been absent for a while now, some accountability - Lowry fired as soon as he was implicated, NO tribunals, no Taoiseachs implicated in bribe taking (ah, happy days), a sense of national pride, a sense of optimism that things were going to continue to get better, oh, the real beginning of peace in NI.....

Amnesia like yours that keeps FF in Gov way past their sell by date - really, as a nation we need to do our homework.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Rainbow consisted of two (relatively) strong, established parties and as you rightly say, had to facilitate the separate ideologies that existed. That was both its strength and ultimately perhaps, its weakness.

Also as you rightly say, FF have had two main props who aided and abetted (in the greens case, still do) their squandering of our previous riches and now our future. They also and not insignificantly, have/had a superb spin machine that was adept at deceiving the electorate into believing FF was solely responsible for the healthy state of the national finances - just as it successfully ridiculed FG as being policy-less after Dukes' Tallaght strategy, Haughey claiming total responsibility for the FG-facilitated turn-around.

All great dictators have successfully hijacked historical truth, substituting their own versions instead. FF is no different and like other dictatorial regimes, is still more comfortable with lies than honesty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    Reason, FF rule the roost here, most media like O Reilly group, and RTE back them. They are/were the state. Only when minor "Blips" occurr does some blame attach to them. But that is soon forgotten as will the present mess, in fact they masy get credit for "pulling us though and taking tough decisions".
    I really, really, hope not - I hope they're remembered as the scum who handed our independence to unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    free third level fees
    budget surplus or on target for one iirc
    falling unemployment
    abolition of section 31
    im sure there is more.

I agree with the op's sentiment. I believe a similar situation is developing in britain with the current tory/lib dem gov. Both extremes from each other but both i believe will work quite well and seem to be so far.
    Add C.A.B to that.

The only black mark I can put agianst this administration was the Hep C scandal though huge milage was made by armchair republicans out of Brutons "Fupping Peace Process."

It is only through using this site that you see what a grasp FF have on the mainstream media in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    Add C.A.B to that.

The only black mark I can put agianst this administration was the Hep C scandal though huge milage was made by armchair republicans out of Brutons "Fupping Peace Process."

It is only through using this site that you see what a grasp FF have on the mainstream media in this country.
    Actually - forgot about Hep C case, which is odd considering RTE made a fecking docudrama about it to make sure we couldn't....FF really do "own" history.