Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin Youth Member to Speak in House of Commons Chamber

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Féin Youth Member to Speak in House of Commons Chamber

In Irish apparently. Iain Dale has the story Iain Dale's Diary: Sinn Fein Member of the UK Youth Parliament to Speak in House of Commons Chamber (in Gaelic!).

But this story has two twists. Connor Morgan told my assistant, Grant Tucker, yesterday that he would be making a speech during the proceedings today and he would be doing it while speaking Irish Gaelic*. Not only that, but according to Morgan, Mr Speaker Bercow had readily given his permission to do that. If that is true (and I emphasise, IF), it's incredible and will undoubtedly have consequences.

Mr Morgan has a charming turn of phrase. On his Facebook page he says, referring to George Osborne...

Gideon, get off my TV, you're a c*nt.

Of course if young Mr Morgan used that word in the House of Commons today, no one would know, as no one else would be able to understand a word he would be saying.
    The young fellow sounds like a bit of a character. What do Sinn Féiners think about this? Appalled at the prospect of a fellow SFer speaking in the Commons or quietly amused?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm gonna love watching the SF people on this site explain this one.

*Fetches popcorn and pulls up a chair*

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its another phase of the struggle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harryshounds View Post
    its another phase of the struggle.
    An Emissary perhaps

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what. is this a joke? a fully paid up member of sf talking in the commons. jesus irish or no irish its a disgrace and furthers my thoughts that the shinners have turned on their own followers and embraced imperialism

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose technically, they don't recognise the House of Commons as having jurisdiction over Northern Ireland, so as he's not a member, they could treat it as making a speech to a foreign parliament.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fenian john View Post
    what. is this a joke? a fully paid up member of sf talking in the commons. jesus irish or no irish its a disgrace and furthers my thoughts that the shinners have turned on their own followers and embraced imperialism
    I might not be remembering correctly but I think one of the decent Labour MPs actually had some over from Sinn Fein to speak at some meeting in the House of Commons when the armed struggle was being waged. Though I agree with you they have betrayed the cause this in itself isnt treason.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

every day i feel a little more let down by the so called republican movement. have all the good leaders died and we are left with smooth talking men of yesterday. Sands, Darkie hughes, keenan, shenna and mairead people who should be here today leading an unrepentant republican movement. i just dont know what to say anymore........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up, but he/she left out the context of why an a non-MP can today speak in that chamber...

As some of you may already know, the United Kingdom Youth Parliament is debating in the House of Commons Chamber today. The fact it is allowed to sit in the chamber at all is looked upon by traditionalists with some disdain. What I am about to say with fill them not just with disdain, but horror.

The link in the OP has a photo or two of young Master Morgan in fancy dress. I don't know if it's related to the time of year but I imagine it goes down a storm in republican areas when they answer the door at Halloween to be met by 1970s-era RUC.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    I suppose technically, they don't recognise the House of Commons as having jurisdiction over Northern Ireland, so as he's not a member, they could treat it as making a speech to a foreign parliament.
    thats not an excuse they are an oppressive regime

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast