Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Flawed Halliburton cement used in BP well

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Flawed Halliburton cement used in BP well

I suppose this could have gone in Enviroment but given Haliburton's intimate connection to the old régime and there on-going connection to the US military I thought US Politics was just as fitting.

This seems to be a wonderful example of Corporate FUBAR synergy.

Halliburton used flawed cement in BP's Gulf of Mexico well, which could have contributed to the blowout that sparked the worst offshore oil spill in US history, a White House panel has said.
    Anyone familiar witht he bag up job Haliburton did for the brave liberaters the US has been sending to Iraq and Afghanistan to die in the sand wil hardly be shocked that once again there skimping on cost to maximise profits has led to loss of life and general destaster. But it gets better.

Both Halliburton and BP were aware of flaws in the cement slurry, similar to the one used to seal the mile-deep Macondo well, as early as 8 March, over a month before the spill, 'but neither acted upon that data,' according to National Oil Spill Commission chief counsel Fred Bartlit.
    The explosion on the rig that started the leak hapened on April 20th.

Tests conducted by industry cement experts show 'the foam cement used at Macondo was unstable,' Mr Bartlit wrote in a letter to co-chairs Bob Graham and Bill Reilly.

'Halliburton (and perhaps BP) should have considered redesigning the foam slurry before pumping it at the Macondo well.'

Flawed Halliburton cement used in BP well - RT News
    Ok, so bets are open. What odds would you give on anything beyond a platitudal gesture being handed down to America's favourite war profiteers?
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post

Ok, so bets are open. What odds would you give on anything beyond a platitudal gesture being handed down to America's favourite war profiteers?
    Not much CC but I would dearly love to see them hit with the entire clean up bill and a huge compensation claim.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    Not much CC but I would dearly love to see them hit with the entire clean up bill and a huge compensation claim.
    So would I, but I imagine they'll probably get the contract to do the clean-up work!
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    +1. But life doesn't get THAT good, does it?
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So would I, but I imagine they'll probably get the contract to do the clean-up work!

It's funny coz it's true.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sickening thought indeed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Brit Bashing looks a bit embarassing now

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thery were always cheap barstewards. In North Africa in the '80's and '90's they flew their workers in and out of the Libyian oilfields using seamens tickets which is of course strictly illegal. At that time they were owned by Ladybird Johnston - Lyndons old lady - and were notoriously bad payers even by American anti-union standards. They indulged in every iffy technical and business practice in the book.