Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Do Fine Gael have a strategy to combat anti-FG bias?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Do Fine Gael have a strategy to combat anti-FG bias?

    Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online - Independent.ie

    Have a look at this independent main national news page.

    Such obvious anti-FG posturing is now routine in the Irish Independent.

    This has been mentioned (read moaned about) on several occasions already on this site.

    But what I want to ask is whether anyone has any ideas for FG about how do something about it. Does FG have any leverage over INM? Can they influence things close to the coal face? Or should they throw their hat at it and concentrate on winning the next election, ignoring the INM anti-FG bias?

  2. #2
    Duth Ealla
    Guest

    Default

    When you talk about anti FG bias you should distinguish between those who just dont like FG for its history or attitudes or policies and the FF set who spit on FG in order to ensure to benefit FF. The Independent etc would be in the latter character.



    Does FG have a policy to solve this. . One must assume not because look at their record. This is a fianna fail state and FG in their brief interludes of power have never done much to chnage the nature of it.

    Its a bit much to expect that they will suddenly change spots and do something about it.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,625
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Is see articles on that link for:

    • The Moriarty tribunal (Run almost entirely under FF's stewardship of the country) is hostile and pointless
    • The HSE (Overseen by the FF govt) haven't taken action in the Roscommon case
    • That "TANAISTE Mary Coughlan (Forget what party she's with) came under fire last night for leaving the nation in the dark about the effective scrapping of state training agency FAS."
    • That the Tanaiste has "Her foot in her mouth"
    • That a government (That's FF right?) agency had a 200k slushfund.
    • That the Irish health system (I forget, who's in charge of that?) failed a dying child.


    Only references to FG:
    FG targets public jobs but won't give number
    Lise Hand: Fine Gael's firm get their bovver boots stuck in
    What on earth is your problem? Where's the bias here?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member LDF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I would draw a distinction between the Irish Independent and the Sunday Independent.

    The Irish Independet is fairly balanced in its political coverage. The Sunday Independent is a different animal entirely. It is populated by FF hacks and journo's who want to be FF hacks. It is rabidly anti-FG. Some editions of The S'indo read like Pathé News propaganda pieces from circa WWII.

    I don't think there is anything FG can do about it - just hope that the Irish electorate is FF-weary enough to see through the crap.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Only references to FG:
    FG targets public jobs but won't give number
    That's it.
    Bingo

    What on earth is your problem? Where's the bias here?
    I haven't got one, as you should know, Synch, because I'm anything but a Fine Gael fan. But I'm objective enough to know bias when I see it.

    As you also know, I'm not aaaaallllllllll that sympathetic, as I feel the only reason that the Indo et al gets away with it is that FG seem not to have developed a strategy to deal with it.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    I don't think there is anything FG can do about it
    There I disagree.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,625
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I haven't got one, as you should know, Synch, because I'm anything but a Fine Gael fan. But I'm objective enough to know bias when I see it.

    As you also know, I'm not aaaaallllllllll that sympathetic, as I feel the only reason that the Indo et al gets away with it is that FG seem not to have developed a strategy to deal with it.
    In seeking reform of the public sector, Fine Gael is adamant it will stick to the Croke Park deal, which explicitly rules out compulsory redundancies.

    Where redeployment and voluntary redundancy "prove inadequate" in reducing numbers in non-priority back-office operations, Fine Gael will move to negotiate "fair exit and retraining packages".
    Now, that's a clear contradiction. The Croke Park agreement doesn't allow for "Fair exit packages". There's no involuntary redundancys. So it's not unreasonable to ask the question "So are you going to have involuntary redundancies?" and then comment if there's no answer forthcoming.

    Do you think the independent's being biased when they describe Coughlan as having her foot in her mouth?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clubbed into insensibility
    Posts
    7,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    What on earth is your problem? Where's the bias here?
    That was my take too.

    I dislike the Indo and do not buy it. The Sindo is in another league and I disinfect the kitchen table when the Brother in-law brings it in.

    Toland, FG can't do a lot about the civil war voters and the idiots that think that we are Fascists. But:

    1) they are tone deaf to the optics to how "The Culchie's revenge" makes them look like FF who are too thick to get into power.

    2) they lack the ruthlessness and cop-on to hold Calamity (and the Govt generally) to account and shoot themselves in the foot by letting Labour neuter them and make them look irrelevant and too thick to lead.

    3) they are led by old crusts who are too long on the stage. the 30-40 year old's need more airtime. old men (Biffo & Bertie ,the Beards and the w/bankers have ruined this country.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member neversaydie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fine Gael do themselves no favours by their representatives calling for Ireland to be brought back into the United Kingdom. My family have always supported FG but we are shocked to hear this news today in the US. Fine Gael will lose election contributions because of this stance.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    That was my take too.

    I dislike the Indo and do not buy it. The Sindo is in another league and I disinfect the kitchen table when the Brother in-law brings it in.

    Toland, FG can't do a lot about the civil war voters and the idiots that think that we are Fascists. But:

    1) they are tone deaf to the optics to how "The Culchie's revenge" makes them look like FF who are too thick to get into power.

    2) they lack the ruthlessness and cop-on to hold Calamity (and the Govt generally) to account and shoot themselves in the foot by letting Labour neuter them and make them look irrelevant and too thick to lead.

    3) they are led by old crusts who are too long on the stage. the 30-40 year old's need more airtime. old men (Biffo & Bertie ,the Beards and the w/bankers have ruined this country.
    OP is based and lives in Berlin so pretty much has little idea of Ireland apart from reading online. He can't even vote as he has lived outside for so long.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •