Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 174

Thread: Should job seekers allowance be abolished for under 21s ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should job seekers allowance be abolished for under 21s ?

    I think anybody who is unemployed aged under 21 should be in education not on the dole, i think the goverment should no longer give this age group an allowance unless they go back into education, this has nothing to do with saving money because of the mess the country is in, i just think its a bad idea that an 18 year old who has never worked can drop out of school and go on the dole 90 days later, that cant happen in most other countries.
    Last edited by Bridget558; 29th October 2010 at 12:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why 21? Why not 25? Or 30?

    18 year olds in this country are legally adults. Further education isn't for everyone. I believe in withdrawing the dole in increments if the person in receipt of welfare cannot prove that he or she is attempting to find work.

    Furthermore, the sad reality is that while we may pretent otherwise, third level education in this country is not universally available due to the prohibitive costs involved

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Why 21? Why not 25? Or 30?

    18 year olds in this country are legally adults. Further education isn't for everyone. I believe in withdrawing the dole in increments if the person in receipt of welfare cannot prove that he or she is attempting to find work.

    Furthermore, the sad reality is that while we may pretent otherwise, third level education in this country is not universally available due to the prohibitive costs involved
    im not just talking about third level, if an 19 year old for example is unemployed with no leaving cert i think he or she should be put back to education to do the leaving cert not being paid to sit at home on the dole.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No. Not everyone can afford third level education. Others simply don't want to go into third level education straight after their leaving cert. They should not be stripped of jobseekers allowance if that is the case. In particular in the current economic climate a lot of young people won't be able to get a job straight away and deserve jobseekers to assist them if they happen to be out of work for a significant period of time.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Átha Cliath
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why not bring in a national service and force our youths into the Army for a 12month period?? i was previously on the dole and it aint a nice place to be, the body and the mind get lazy doing nothing. But realistically we should force able bodied people on the dole into doing community based work even just 10 hours a week each

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dentist View Post
    Why not bring in a national service and force our youths into the Army for a 12month period?? i was previously on the dole and it aint a nice place to be, the body and the mind get lazy doing nothing. But realistically we should force able bodied people on the dole into doing community based work even just 10 hours a week each
    Are you proposing that for all citizens or just residents?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    No. Not everyone can afford third level education, not everyone can deal with third level education and not everyone wants or needs third level education.

    what's more, if it were to be abolished what would young people between 17/18 and 21 do? Stay here unable to get a job and turn to crime or leave the country? We've lost a huge amount of young people overseas and you want to encourage more of it?

    Cut the ************************************g pension and leave young people a fighting chance.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I was previously on the dole and it aint a nice place to be, the body and the mind get lazy doing nothing.
    Thats why i think its a good idea to make young unemployed go back into education, if you are at home on the dole at the age of 18 not working becomes normal to you after awhile. I know of men in their 40s who have been on the dole since the late 1980s.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    No. Not everyone can afford third level education, not everyone can deal with third level education and not everyone wants or needs third level education.

    what's more, if it were to be abolished what would young people between 17/18 and 21 do? Stay here unable to get a job and turn to crime or leave the country? We've lost a huge amount of young people overseas and you want to encourage more of it?

    Cut the ************************************g pension and leave young people a fighting chance.
    Now hang on, did you even read what i wrote in this thread? I never said dont give the under 21s nothing, if i as a tax payer am giving 18,19,and 20 year olds money each week i think its only fair that they go to a youth reach or fetac course rather than being at home playing the xbox.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member vanla sighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget558 View Post
    I think anybody who is unemployed aged under 21 should be in education not on the dole, i think the goverment should no longer give this age group an allowence unless they go back into education, this has nothing to do with saving money because of the mess the country is in, i just think its a bad idea that an 18 year old who has never worked can drop out of school and go on the dole 90 days later, that cant happen in most other countries.
    So how exactly are they going to go into further education if the places aren't there for them? Or if they don't have the points to get into an IT or university? And how are they supposed to pay the €1,500 student service/capitation fee for uni/IT (which could be rising come the budget) if they don't have any money?

    You're right it wouldn't save any money - in fact it would cost the State hundreds of millions more each year: extra teachers, extra supports etc etc. Would also mean a few new colleges would need to be built -how much do you reckon that'd cost?

    The dole has already been cut by 50% for those under 21, from approx €200p.w to €100p.w - a move which imho was shameful and mean fisted in the first place. Why should the under 21's be treated as though they are a different breed from the over 21's?

    Edit: So how exactly do we put all those under 21 into 2nd level with people younger than them when class sizes are already maxed out? You must remember when you hit 18 you're an adult and you are entitled to the services which the States provides for its citizens.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •