Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Welfare cuts in budget 11

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Social Welfare cuts in budget 11

What do you think are the most likely welfare cuts in the budget? Will it be 4 percent in the dole like last year? Will the under 21s who now only get 100 per week get another cut? What about child benifit ?

boo-boo

Default ideas

Half rate payments ie. carer's allowance and jobseekers. OFP will be looked at, and I wonder whether the govt. will now introduce the provision in last years budget of removing OFP for parents with children over 12.

They could also save by cutting existing double payments where people on CE continue to get their full social welfare entitlements. Half rate payments is another issue where people can get half rate carers allowance and other social welfare payments. There is one double standard that doesnt make sense and that's around carers allowance and disability payments. Too sick to work....but yet can work in the home as a carer....sorry, but the operational guidelines that allow for this just doesnt make sense to me!

They could also look at social welfare payments for people doing fas courses....do away with the fas allowances and let them maintain their social welfare rates.

OAP pensions need to be looked at....and particularly the situation where people can have the household package without any means assessment of their household income.

As for jobseekers and other rates, that may be a 5% reduction, but they need to put in place credible labour market activation programmes....that responds to the needs of today's jobseeker.....and unfortunately I dont have any confidence that this govt. or any other political party can do this! We need real jobs with real opportunities....not jobs and measures that just fiddle the unemployment figures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They should cut the mickey money (unmarried mothers or whatever it's called).
    Cut the dole, by increments, for people who have been on the dole for, lets say, 5 years or more e.g. on the dole 5 year - lose 10%, on it 6-lose 12% etc

As for boo boos comments about job creation....silly billy...have you forgotten that all the jobs will be flooding in soon thanks to Lisbon 2??

ah yes... all those jobs flooding in because of Lisbon 2

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Job seekers, dole etc most likely minimum 10% cut, might even make 15%.

Very unlikely child benefit will be touched, maybe it will, remember anything to do with women and children is sacred.

FAS are already having new trainees stay on current social welfare payments, so any cuts will apply immediately and will not have to wait until end of training, so that 'cut' is already in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    Job seekers, dole etc most likely minimum 10% cut, might even make 15%.

Very unlikely child benefit will be touched, maybe it will, remember anything to do with women and children is sacred.

FAS are already having new trainees stay on current social welfare payments, so any cuts will apply immediately and will not have to wait until end of training, so that 'cut' is already in place.
    Women and children sacred?? Child Benefit was cut in the last budget so Skinner how do you figure that women and children are sacred?

As for other's who suggest cutting lone mother's money, yes go and cut that and then look at children who suffer as a result (before you jump down my throat, I'm not a receiver, I work but I also believe we need to keep children above the poverty threshold). Also for those who mention lone mothers, remember there was only one immaculate conception. For each of these children there is a father out there who helped create this child yet does not feel the brunt of society's wrath for a) abandoning their child or b) not financially supporting the child.
    If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. GB Shaw

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by berberie View Post
    Women and children sacred?? Child Benefit was cut in the last budget so Skinner how do you figure that women and children are sacred?

As for other's who suggest cutting lone mother's money, yes go and cut that and then look at children who suffer as a result (before you jump down my throat, I'm not a receiver, I work but I also believe we need to keep children above the poverty threshold). Also for those who mention lone mothers, remember there was only one immaculate conception. For each of these children there is a father out there who helped create this child yet does not feel the brunt of society's wrath for a) abandoning their child or b) not financially supporting the child.
    Feminist paradigm much?

It takes 2 to tango. Sorry to bust your bubble but...for women, having children is the best career choice available, either primarily or as a fallback.
    Simple fact, its their choice, and if they cant make a dual parenting relationship work in the interests of both the child(ren) and both parents involved then its time to look in the mirror.

Back on topic, the cuts will be directed onto the perceived 'lazy scroungers' while the 800lb gorilla in the room (debt) will at all costs be subsidized.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dan Bolye said a few weeks ago that welfare rates wouldnt be cut at all, but back then they thought the budget cuts would only be 3 billion

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default We can have as much unemployment as we are prepared to pay for

We can have as much unemployment as we are prepared to pay for.

Reduce the payments and the numbers will fall. We should use a system of emigration loans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Article from the Herald yesterday says a 2.5% cut in pensions and 5% in other payments plus 10% in Child Benefit. Does not seem half enough to me if they are really going to save serious money. Those kind of cuts would not amount to €1billion never mind the suggested €2billion in cuts speculated.

Cutting pension to below €215 will 'stoke rage' - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast