Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFools - PS, Mansergh defends OPW paying €420,000 for 2 chpters of book as good value

Default FFools - PS, Mansergh defends OPW paying €420,000 for 2 chpters of book as good value

AT LEAST 16 archivists could have been employed by the Office of Public Works (OPW) for the €420,000 it has controversially cost for an historian to write just two chapters of an uncompleted book on the organisation's history.

โ‚ฌ420,000 cost of OPW historian could have paid 16 archivists

The huge fee paid to historian Desmond McCabe has become a cause c้l่bre for those who claim waste is rife in the public sector.

Martin Mansergh, the junior minister for the OPW, has "fully endorsed everything that was said by the OPW chairwoman at the PAC" and added: "This project started long before my time but we are well down the road and he [McCabe] has done a lot of valuable work. If you are most of the way there, then pulling the plug on it could mean all that good work goes to waste

LOve the photo of Mansergh - lol.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is'nt Mansergh a writer himself, he once produced a tome of CJH's speeches, "The Spirit of the Nation", but maybe that was under fiction category !
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican pแirtํ an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could write a book on the history of the OPW , in 6 words.

WASTE , WASTE AND EVEN MORE WASTE.

Yep they defend celebrity type payments to historians ( even though celebrities wouldn't be able to command this type of money for a FULL book)
    on the one hand and on the other they declare "noone is untouchable in this crisis" and propose to cut the OAP

Hypocrites.

If he didn't produce the goods in time why not reduce his payment.

Imagine someone in the private sector taking ten years to complete two chapters they'd be sacked long ago.

Oh I forgot "best legal advice" says they can't alter the contract or something along that lines.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What's the panic?
    The money will be recouped through sales on completion. No?
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    I could write a book on the history of the OPW , in 6 words.

WASTE , WASTE AND EVEN MORE WASTE.
    That wouldn't be fair to the many decent, hard working people in OPW.

The OPW's role is to implement Government Policy no matter how corrupt or insane such policy may be - think decentralisation for one obvious example - and their last four Ministers were Fartin' Cullen, Tom "welcome to Parlon Country', Bertie's Big Brudder Noel and the current dope*

Need I say more?

*"Mansergh has been an unquestioning supporter of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, whose financial affairs are under investigation by the Mahon Tribunal. He has been accused of being insulting, condescending and petulant to opposition politicians.

After a recent interview on Today FM he has been labelled by many political commentators as an incompetent, rambling TD who is happy to defend the government to the hilt despite his obvious ineptitude. Village Magazine, in its October 2009 list of Ireland's top 100 village idiots described him as "the shrieking Minister of State...a wheezing diva".

On an RTษ radio show Morning Ireland in February 2008, Mansergh reassured listeners that Ahern's difficulties were no more than a spot of inflight turbulence, with a safe landing in sight. When Fine Gael's tribunal expert, Senator Eugene Regan dissented, Mansergh became quite agitated, questioning why Regan dared to question Ahern's finances declaring to Regan that: You should have respect for your betters! "

(thanks Wikipedia)
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can anybody tell me what Mansersgh was doing in Kerry accompanied by his private secretary and 2 OPW officials? He said it was to do with" CJH his Inisvickalaun papers".(VB last night)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

history of OPW in one word Failure, how much did they spend to change a Bulb in a Garda Station a few years ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olamp View Post
    Can anybody tell me what Mansersgh was doing in Kerry accompanied by his private secretary and 2 OPW officials? He said it was to do with" CJH his Inisvickalaun papers".(VB last night)

The Haughey family handed over some of CJH's papers to the Blasket Museum (in Dunquin) last week. Manser was there as Minister of State for the OPW to drool over them and remind us what a collosus CJH was.

(I presume the papers handed over didn't include his communications with the Irish Naval Service obliging them to put a Fishery Patrol Vessel on standby close to the island whenever he was there, or his (verbal) instructions to them not to arrest local fishermen for salmon poaching - nor his instructions to the ESB to install a wind turbine on the island at their expense to generate electricity for him)
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast