Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How likely is the budget to pass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How likely is the budget to pass?

We've been hearing plenty about how much will be cut, the consensus, the non-consensus etc, but very little about this government's ability to put their budget through the house.

Are they taking care of that or are they just going to engage in a bit of brinksmanship?

Are they, secretly, approaching Grealish, Lowry and a few others with promises to keep local A&E units open?

What are the numbers anyway? I've always followed the numbers but these days it's just too confusing. If you only count the 100% dead certs you get less than a majority (I think), but there's a few almost-certs.

What about another Joe Behan? Did anyone see that coming? If not, how do they know there isn't another one in the pipeline?

The Budget will pass...nobody really wants an election at this stage.
    It is indeed hard for the strong to be just to the weak, but acting justly always has its rewards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Plenty of people want an election. For starters there's the majority of the population, but I suppose they don't count for anything when it comes to Dail votes.

Let's assume FG and Lab vote against. And SF.

There will be a fair few Fianna Failers who realise their only chance is a solo run. the FF name will be a millstone around the neck next time out.

Add to that the shock of the details. It's all very well to say cut 6 billion, but when they are going to close the hospital in your town, or cancel your local school's much needed rebuilding, it's a very different story. For some it might be too much to take.

For me, if they withdraw special needs assistants from classrooms I will be joining the revolution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always presumed that was the real driver behind Gormley's concensus plan - they don't have confidence that they can bring the Government side with them and needed an FG bailout.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a number of ff backbenchers are 'shaky' at present......the reducton in pensions may break a few.....

reading yeasterdays indo...lise hand out and about with talaman, brings up the prospect of an 'independent run'.....'youd top the poll' was suggested by a man in the street.....

Lise Hand: Cheerful Charlie squares up to his rivals as the going gets tough - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

how many more fft d's are being tempted?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I always presumed that was the real driver behind Gormley's concensus plan - they don't have confidence that they can bring the Government side with them and needed an FG bailout.
    Even Kenny wouldn't be so stupid as to give Cowen a Tallaght II. Would he?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The budget will pass because government TDs will get to vote for it and be shown to have the national interest at heart; while at the same time be allowed to vote against individual local cuts at the appropriate time. That way the FF TDs can campaign for their local hospital/school/whatever without being attacked by independent FF.

Of course this only works so long as constituents focus on local things and accept whatever national pain comes through social welfare cuts. A national protest like that against the medical card cuts makes it impossible to say that you voted against pension cuts, or whatever, for your local people in the Dail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How could Finian McGrath put his name to ads in today's papers warning about cutbacks in the mental health area and still vote for a budget that's going to pulverise the health services ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoteFFno1 View Post

Fianna Fail have disgraced this country,Everybody except Fianna Fail TDs and their hardcore
    supporters want an election.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoteFFno1 View Post
    Except every man, woman, child and dog on the street in Ireland.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast