Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the EU controlling the Irish Media?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the EU controlling the Irish Media?

The European Commission has just flown 15 Irish journalists to Brussels for a two-day ‘information visit’. Or as those of us who know Brussels and talk straight would put it, for a two-day, two-night taxpayer-funded propaganda junket at a four-star hotel.

Ireland and the other eurozone countries might be suffering savage spending cuts, but the EU self-publicity budget thrives: in 2008 the Open Europe think-tank calculated that the EU was spending at least €2 billion a year on ‘information’.

Much of it bent, which is to say, propaganda. The commission actually admits that its information is bent. One of its publications declares: ‘Genuine communication by the European Union cannot be reduced to the mere provision of information.’

The EU propaganda machine pumps money into lobby groups that support ‘ever closer union’. They push propaganda into schools. And almost more than anything else, they target the Press. Journalists are offered ‘free’ trips and training (yes, just like Scientology offers training). The EU gives out cash prizes to on-message journalists.
    Here are the figures, as from this professional accountant: the MEPs’ entertainment budget for next year has jumped from €1,105,200 to €2,047,450. Yet the five Irish MEPs at this propaganda-fest denied it in front of 15 Dublin journalists plus me. Unless I could identify the exact budget line for them right then, the MEPs said they wouldn’t admit such a thing could have happened.

The other journalists, unused to the ways of the parliament, couldn’t make anything of it. But I will give credit to Mairéad McGuinness, who, despite being indignant about my suggestion, had her staff check it. She came back to me a couple of hours later with a piece of paper showing the figures for a budget line labelled ‘Entertainment and representation expenses’. There it was: the huge jump in the entertainment budget that the Irish MEPs had all earlier denied could exist.
    I found this article today by mistake. It was written by an American covering the EU parliament in Brussels. It asks in the title of the article Is this how the EU got a Yes to Lisbon from the Irish? - Mail Online - Euroseptic: Mary Ellen Synon in Brussels Is this really what we send our MEPs to Europe for? and is the EU controlling what information is provided to Ireland by controlling the Irish media through 'perks'?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like , Duh !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    I found this article today by mistake. It was written by an American covering the EU parliament in Brussels. It asks in the title of the article Is this how the EU got a Yes to Lisbon from the Irish? - Mail Online - Euroseptic: Mary Ellen Synon in Brussels Is this really what we send our MEPs to Europe for? and is the EU controlling what information is provided to Ireland by controlling the Irish media through 'perks'?
    Here's a heads up for you.

The media is never independent. It never just reports the facts. It always has an agenda.

The media is controlled by the rich and the establishment and it pushes the agenda of the rich and the establishment. Hence in light of our current difficulties it is now an accepted fact that it is immoral to ask those who made massive fortunes from the boom to stump up any more cash for the bust.

This is EU thing is the same,just another format.

Seriously, what did you think before this "revelation"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like , Duh !
    Seriously, what did you think before this "revelation"?
    Yes super-cynics we all know the media is biased and that journalists can be flattered and bought. I'm sure it's not news to the OP either. But that doesn't mean specific examples shouldn't be highlighted when they come to light.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Yes super-cynics we all know the media is biased and that journalists can be flattered and bought. I'm sure it's not news to the OP either. But that doesn't mean specific examples shouldn't be highlighted when they come to light.
    Indeed . Knock yerselves out , why not ? petunia

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Underlines why the elite media backed Lisbon. Act of Union Mark II. Then as now - bought and sold with foreign-gold.
    Last edited by FutureTaoiseach; 28th October 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How absurd. The media here, especially at the lower end, is dominated by UK Euroskepticism. Indeed it is probably the single biggest factor in the rise of Euroskepticism here. It is in the UK's interest for Ireland to become Euroskeptic, because if Ireland is brought away from the EU sphere of influence, we fall more under the UK's as in times past.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchToDo View Post
    How absurd. The media here, especially at the lower end, is dominated by UK Euroskepticism. Indeed it is probably the single biggest factor in the rise of Euroskepticism here. It is in the UK's interest for Ireland to become Euroskeptic, because if Ireland is brought away from the EU sphere of influence, we fall more under the UK's as in times past.
    The so-called news media in Ireland is generally of a poor, parochial quality as it is. Most of these hacks just regurgitate whatever garbage they have received from another source and don't bother at all checking the facts.

As for media Euroskepticism, I didn't see a whole lot of that at Lisbon Treaty time. They were all on the bandwagon for the free ride to the trough...

Our media (RTE specially) are as guilty as the government, bankers etc for a lot of what has befallen this country.
    They act as spokespersons for various interested parties, and do not actually present information we need to see. Journalistic integrity of Rupert Murdoch...
    Permit me to issue and control the money of the nation and I care not who makes its laws. — Mayer Amsched Rothchild
    http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Is this really what we send our MEPs to Europe for? and is the EU controlling what information is provided to Ireland by controlling the Irish media through 'perks'?
    The EU is us. It is the 27 countries that are part of the EU. Not for the first time someone mixes the EU with the EC which in fact gave the journalists the briefing. They spin. So what. All organisations do it.

I should that this does not mean the EP entertainment budget is not a total disgrace. No surprise to see De Rossa denying it. Old Stalinist habits die hard.
    Last edited by Clanrickard; 28th October 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yet the five Irish MEPs at this propaganda-fest denied it in front of 15 Dublin journalists plus me. Unless I could identify the exact budget line for them right then, the MEPs said they wouldn’t admit such a thing could have happened.
    So they didn't actually deny it, they just said they wouldn't confirm it unless you told them what you were talking about. How unreasonable of them.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast