Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: House Scrappage Scheme?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default House Scrappage Scheme?

    The IT has a letter today:
    A novel type of scrappage scheme

    Madam, – The country is awash with poor quality and dilapidated housing (Editorial, october 27th), and indeed poor quality commercial space too. The paradox is that we are drowning in brand new and empty housing and commercial space. We also are in need of kick- starting the construction industry and the housing market to avoid Nama-geddon.

    We have a car scrappage scheme which aims take dilapidated cars off the road and help that industry. Why not a house scrappage scheme? The Government could offer reduced stamp duty on new purchases when a dilapidated or abandoned building is demolished or extensively refurbished. Such a scheme would cost the taxpayer little, create construction jobs and clean up our cities and housing stock. – Yours, etc
    Sounds like a good idea. Any objections?

  2. #2

    Default

    The letter is far too simplistic to comment on.

    If a house is finished and really only needs a clean and some painting then it could be rented out by NAMA with maybe an option to buy in three years or whatever.

    Anything less than finished is doomed. I've seen the damage already done to incomplete houses around here by weather alone.
    Redacted.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The IT has a letter today:


    Sounds like a good idea. Any objections?
    Dont think it would take off, didnt lenihan have some gimmick in his first budget to get people to buy houses ?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A moon near Endor
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The IT has a letter today:


    Sounds like a good idea. Any objections?
    Yes . I object to where the lady says " help that industry. ".
    Im all for sorting out housing and demolishing partial builds but I most certainly dont want to "help that industry."
    Yes thank you madam , we are done with property pyramid scams , thanks but no thanks .

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Coracium
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    far too simplistic
    That's about it in a nutshell

    Plus couple onto that (if it were proceeding) actual administration of any such scheme by what we now have loosely termed as a Government and that would most certainly kill it off in any event

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    The letter is far too simplistic to comment on.

    If a house is finished and really only needs a clean and some painting then it could be rented out by NAMA with maybe an option to buy in three years or whatever. ...
    But aren't you being a little simplistic yourself, EM?

    If Anglo had gone bust in 2008 then its its big international creditors would have made just such arrangements in order to minimise their losses. But NAMA a part of the rigmarole that prevented it.

    The housing market in England hasn't collapsed the way it did here. One reason is that the UK has a relaxed attitude to immigration and wealthy people from all over the world are buying houses there, particularly in London.

    Do you know London at all? There are several suburbs with a strong Jewish presence.

    There was considerable house-building during the Great Depression of the 1930s and Jews living in the London slums somehow organised themselves and came together, obtained finance and - taking advantage of the cheap price of property - bought streets of newly-built houses en-bloc and on wholesale terms.

    You do have to wonder if FF were scared of something similar happening in Ireland, and preferred to see entire estates go derelict rather than risk them becoming non-Hibernian enclaves.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A moon near Endor
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    But aren't you being a little simplistic yourself, EM?

    If Anglo had gone bust in 2008 then its its big international creditors would have made just such arrangements in order to minimise their losses. But NAMA a part of the rigmarole that prevented it.

    The housing market in England hasn't collapsed the way it did here. One reason is that the UK has a relaxed attitude to immigration and wealthy people from all over the world are buying houses there, particularly in London.

    Do you know London at all? There are several suburbs with a strong Jewish presence.

    There was considerable house-building during the Great Depression of the 1930s and Jews living in the London slums somehow organised themselves and came together, obtained finance and - taking advantage of the cheap price of property - bought streets of newly-built houses en-bloc and on wholesale terms.

    You do have to wonder if FF were scared of something similar happening in Ireland, and preferred to see entire estates go derelict rather than risk them becoming non-Hibernian enclaves.

    What are you on ? May I have some ?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Coracium
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    But aren't you being a little simplistic yourself, EM?

    If Anglo had gone bust in 2008 then its its big international creditors would have made just such arrangements in order to minimise their losses. But NAMA a part of the rigmarole that prevented it.

    The housing market in England hasn't collapsed the way it did here. One reason is that the UK has a relaxed attitude to immigration and wealthy people from all over the world are buying houses there, particularly in London.

    Do you know London at all? There are several suburbs with a strong Jewish presence.

    There was considerable house-building during the Great Depression of the 1930s and Jews living in the London slums somehow organised themselves and came together, obtained finance and - taking advantage of the cheap price of property - bought streets of newly-built houses en-bloc and on wholesale terms.

    You do have to wonder if FF were scared of something similar happening in Ireland, and preferred to see entire estates go derelict rather than risk them becoming non-Hibernian enclaves.
    Whatever it is won't work anyhoo ... FF are in charge I regret to say and all turns to **** ... ample examples of that continue to unfold on an extremely regular basis ...

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    34,384
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Here is a solution:

    Sell EVERYTHING. Have an auction and sell it all for whatever price it will fetch.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Here is a solution:

    Sell EVERYTHING. Have an auction and sell it all for whatever price it will fetch.
    But most of it has minus value. It is not sellable.

    The pallet loads of window cills are grimey algae covered pieces of crap.

    Nobody wants them.
    Redacted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •