Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E.U. breaks from U.S. by selling refined petroleum to Iran, despite sanctions

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default E.U. breaks from U.S. by selling refined petroleum to Iran, despite sanctions

..The European position counters U.S. legislation, passed by [U.S.] Congress in July, aimed at preventing Iran from importing refined petroleum. That legislation also penalizes companies if they sell gasoline to the Islamic Republic. In recent years the United States has increased pressure on international oil companies and refineries to cancel their contracts with Iran.

..E.U. officials said Wednesday that their measures allowed fuel sales to prevent sanctions from hurting average Iranians. Instead, new European measures are aimed at depriving Iranian leaders from oil revenue by banning investments in the development of the Iranian oil sector, as well as specialized equipment, said representatives..

There have been complaints in the European parliament over U.S. pressure on E.U. companies regarding Iran. "If Europe accepts U.S. interference through pressure on its businesses, it is giving up independence," said Marietje Schaake, an influential parliament member, representing a liberal party. "The influence of U.S. interference beyond our own sanctions harms the E.U.'s credibility as a global player," she said.
    E.U. breaks from U.S. by selling refined petroleum to Iran, despite sanctions
    So if I have this clear, the EU (in the name of all Europeans remember) wants to snub the state that guarantees the EU's security and pursue closer economic ties with a regime that regularly dismembers criminals, hangs gays, wants to wipe israel from the "pages of history" (or whatever), has sponsored terror attacks all across europe over the last 40 years, and which is thought to be actively pursuing a nuclear weapons programme?

Not in my name.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder are they selling it in euros, or dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
    So if I have this clear, the EU (in the name of all Europeans remember) wants to snub the state that guarantees the EU's security and pursue closer economic ties with a regime that regularly dismembers criminals, hangs gays, wants to wipe israel from the "pages of history" (or whatever), has sponsored terror attacks all across europe over the last 40 years, and which is thought to be actively pursuing a nuclear weapons programme?

Not in my name.
    Clear as crystal.

The EU is itself the concoction of radicals.
    "Laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt." —Tacitus

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oooooh matron !

Everyone is so unprepared for this ! If only we had consensus and stability . Everything would be alright .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think on a malevolence scale of 1 to 10 Iran would be a 3, the US would be a 7 and Israel would be a 9. I am guessing that the OP would have no problem with companies selling refined petroleum to Israel even though they have sponsored more terrorism in the last 50 years than Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan put together. Btw, sanctions are a form of terrorism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hmm... wonder what Big Petroleum company could Be Positioning itself to do the selling?
    Last edited by CookieMonster; 28th October 2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Well considering the abject immorality of the sanctions against Iraq - "genocide masquerading as policy" Madeleine Albright called them - I'm actually relieved the EU are doing the sensible thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How exactly does the US 'guarantee' the EUs security and from whom?
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete2 View Post

Not in my name.
    Well the US regularly executes people who are mentally ill, have learning difficulties, has actively used nuclear weapons against a civilian population and, oh, still sponsors terrorism across the world for about 50 years of so, is mired in institutional racism, has a massive prison population, need I go.

I'm no fan of Iran and its backward, brutal regime, but your view of the US as being the 'good guys; indicates that your a bit of fool.

If anything, the US has being been partially responsible for the rise in Islamic terrorism deliberately. Their intelligence agencies had nothing else really to be doing after the fall of the USSR so provoking the Islamic fundamentalists has worked a treat for them.

All the while its the ordinary people going work in New York, Madrid, London, Bali and around the world who pay for their sick games with the very people they helped to train.

Before you start talking out your arse, I am not anti US, I think its a fine country filled with amazing, wonderful people, many of whom I am proud to call friends and relatives, but, like Ireland, it is run by some seriously sick ******************************ers who view ordinary people as assets, resources and cannon fodder. They have no more regard for American citizens than they do for Iraqi, Afghani or even British and Spanish people.

So, not in my name either, mate.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

has sponsored terror attacks all across europe over the last 40 years
    Such as?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast