Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Error of Right Libertarianism

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Great Error of Right Libertarianism

All libertarians are against the state, as such, be they left or right. Of course, for the last number of years right libertarianism has seemed like a good position to many people. They see quite clearly that the state is in the employ of the corporate and landed interest, and acts as the armed wing of that interest. I couldnt disagree with this in any way. The right libertarians put forward the idea that the only way for ordinary people to get ahead, is to take the weapon of the state away from the corporate interest and the big landowners, i.e. to reduce the size of the state, and give the ordinary people the ability to do their own thing. Again, this sounds like a very reasonable position to take. But, this is precisely where the theory breaks down. When the corporate and landed interest has already owned the state, and you reduce the state, all that happens is that the corporate and landed interest have carte blanche to run absolutely riot, and drive the people into the ground. This is what has happened over the last 20 years.

And nor, in reality, is the state reduced. The state has balooned in all western countries in the last 20 years. (Though I accept that most right libertarians would not go along with the psychotic behaviour of the neo-liberals - who really are an absolute plague on the world.) The state has been reduced in the matter of allowing ordinarly people to have democratic control over their environment - but it has vastly increased in the matter of creating reasons to pass the money of the ordinary people over to the oligarchy, and in the matter of burocratic control over the behaviour of ordinary people.

So, this is the root of the right libertarian error. Reducing the state, while the corporate monopolies and landowners still hold de facto power, is a pointless task from the point of view of liberty. You are just allowing the corporations to openly rule the world in their own interest, without any hope of democratic intervention. The problem is the oligarchy, not the state.

And the reason why we have these oligarchies in the first place is because of the State. They've used the power of the state to force and coerce the public to their advantage.

Epic Fail Cael. (hmm it even Rhymes!)
    Last edited by Mossy Heneberry; 27th October 2010 at 07:42 PM.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where precisely are these "corporate monopolies" that you rail against ?

Was it powerful 10 years ago ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    And the reason why we have these oligarchies in the first place is because of the State. They use the power of the state to force and coerce the public for their advanatge.

Epic Fail Cael. (hmm it even Rhymes!)
    That is not historically correct. The state, in the first place, was a agreement between powerful and violent men that they would stop killing each other, and help protect each others land from the anger of the landless. In the post WW2 period, in response to Communism, the state was forced to make compromises with the landless wage labourers - but, at all times, the state in the west remained in the ownership of the oligarchies. All that has happened with the so called (but not real) reduction of the state, is that the compromises with the Working Class and Middle Classes have been abandoned, and they have been reduced, once more, to serfs. To attack the state is really not to attack the oligarchy - its to attack the pressure that can be put on the oligarchy through the state. the oligarchy will always keep enough of the state for their own protection and enrichment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Where precisely are these "corporate monopolies" that you rail against ?

Was it powerful 10 years ago ?

cYp
    What the monopolies are called at any time is of no importance.

Politics.ie Member Tim Johnston's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's really hard to know where to begin a critique. I'm not sure the author understands what (right) libertarianism is, but I'd certainly start by saying that oligarchies and the state go hand in hand.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Johnston View Post
    It's really hard to know where to begin a critique. I'm not sure the author understands what (right) libertarianism is, but I'd certainly start by saying that oligarchies and the state go hand in hand.
    Im pretty sure I do. But, do you think that, for example, getting rid of RTÉ (useless as it is) and TG4 and leaving ourselves at the mercy of TV3 and Sky would reduce the power of the oligarchy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this thread is way over my pay grade

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Left libertarianism seems a bit of an oxymoron. The core of libertarianism is smaller state but the core of the left is bigger state.

This debate is a bit like the myth we have capitalism in Ireland where the state directly or indirectly is involved in all aspects of the Irish economy. Construction is the obvious topical area where the state through various tax incentives for both builders & purchaser interfered with the market.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    this thread is way over my pay grade
    Its very simple, a chara. You leave a very powerful and wealthy elite with the power to make the world in their image, without any democratic intervention, and they will suck it dry and spit it out.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast