The benchmarking process has been described as one of the main causes of our financial ruin. I decided to find out just how well I did out of the two rounds of benchmarking that occurred.
The first was in 2002
I am employed as a firefighter paramedic in Dublin and received 5% during this round.
The second round of benchmarking in 2007
We received a 0% rise in pay from round two of benchmarking. We piggy backed on the Garda review and they got zilch also.
So out of the two rounds of benchmarking we received a 5% rise altogether. That has been more than recouped with the paycuts and levy last year.
I decided to see what someone higher up the scale would receive. The highest level in the local authority sector ( which is where I work) is the Senior executive officer grade. They got a 13.8% increse in benchmarking 1 and a 5% increase in benchmarking 2. A whopping total of 18.8%.
It is the same across all sectors. The ordinary PS got a moderate increase which has been wiped out plus change by last years cuts while the higher grades got massive increases and reduced cuts last year.
We are not all the same and many of us are doing their best for the public.