Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarking: how well did we do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Benchmarking: how well did we do?

The benchmarking process has been described as one of the main causes of our financial ruin. I decided to find out just how well I did out of the two rounds of benchmarking that occurred.
    The first was in 2002
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres...E2/0/Bench.PDF

I am employed as a firefighter paramedic in Dublin and received 5% during this round.

The second round of benchmarking in 2007
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/...markreport.pdf

We received a 0% rise in pay from round two of benchmarking. We piggy backed on the Garda review and they got zilch also.

So out of the two rounds of benchmarking we received a 5% rise altogether. That has been more than recouped with the paycuts and levy last year.

So......
    I decided to see what someone higher up the scale would receive. The highest level in the local authority sector ( which is where I work) is the Senior executive officer grade. They got a 13.8% increse in benchmarking 1 and a 5% increase in benchmarking 2. A whopping total of 18.8%.

It is the same across all sectors. The ordinary PS got a moderate increase which has been wiped out plus change by last years cuts while the higher grades got massive increases and reduced cuts last year.
    We are not all the same and many of us are doing their best for the public.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That must be soul destroying. What do you have unions for?
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From talking to PS friends the issue with the PS doesn't seem to be with the pay of individuals. The discrepancy between the public and private sectors has been substantially eroded by the pension levy and pay cut.

The real issue seems to be the sheer numbers in the PS. In particular the number of people brought in for special projects and task forces that were then made permanent. We eroded the number of worker bees in favour of a vast array of middle management posts.

I still think an independent benchmarking exercise now would be useful so that we could all see what the position is rather than this constant assertion and rebuttal based on very little actual information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    That must be soul destroying. What do you have unions for?
    Long walks down oconnell street to listen to jack o Connor shout outside an empty dail. Doing our damndest to get out of the big unions. They are an absolute joke. It makes me laugh when I read people on here talk about the government or labour being in the thrall of unions. They are a spent force of bearded out of touch has beens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Yell View Post
    From talking to PS friends the issue with the PS doesn't seem to be with the pay of individuals. The discrepancy between the public and private sectors has been substantially eroded by the pension levy and pay cut.

The real issue seems to be the sheer numbers in the PS. In particular the number of people brought in for special projects and task forces that were then made permanent. We eroded the number of worker bees in favour of a vast array of middle management posts.

I still think an independent benchmarking exercise now would be useful so that we could all see what the position is rather than this constant assertion and rebuttal based on very little actual information.
    Based on a separate analysis I did a few days ago we are actually below average in size for public sector. Our problems the too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Plus the many of the chiefs spend all day smoking the peace pipe and looking up squaws on the Internet.... If I am not stretching the concept too far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got c. 8% and have since lost 14%.

That's why talk of benchmarking pisses my tits off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Long walks down oconnell street to listen to jack o Connor shout outside an empty dail. Doing our damndest to get out of the big unions. They are an absolute joke. It makes me laugh when I read people on here talk about the government or labour being in the thrall of unions. They are a spent force of bearded out of touch has beens.
    O'Connor has been tainted with his buddy-buddy relationship with corrupt-bertie.

He lay down with a dog and is now flea-ridden.
    "WAKE UP! THE RICH ARE RAPING YOU!"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You were lucky that Jack was about--would say most of the fat cat comrades were in far flung places on exploratory missions in the cause of Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And you're forgetting the Buckley report which gave senior bods massive increases as well.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/...1/report38.pdf

The Review Body recommends:

pay increases ranging from zero to 33.3% for key senior posts
    Read the executive summary, it'll make you sick.

The boys were well looked after, make the poor and lower paid pay instead

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Based on a separate analysis I did a few days ago we are actually below average in size for public sector. Our problems the too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Plus the many of the chiefs spend all day smoking the peace pipe and looking up squaws on the Internet.... If I am not stretching the concept too far!
    Sounds accurate to me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast