Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Cowen told FÁS's €800m budget questionable - before increasing FÁS budget to €1bn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cowen told FÁS's €800m budget questionable - before increasing FÁS budget to €1bn

I haven't seen a thread on this so apologies if one has already been setup.

The Sunday Times reported last weekend (Oct 24th) that DoF officials prepared two memo's for Brian Cowen, one in 2004 and another in 2006, stating that elements of FÁS's then budget of €800m were questionable and not properly focused.

The only action Mr Cowen took was to increase FÁS's budget to €1bn by 2007. This is the same Brian Cowen who defended his constituent and pal Roddy Molloy in Dáil Eireann before Molloy was forced to resign in (well compensated) disgrace.

There are a couple of points to be made about this-

-Civil Servants will always seek to protect themselves from potenial controversey. In this case the DoF did their job by highlighting their concerns to the resident Minister. Are we to believe that DoF officials ignored the looming banking crisis and failed to inform their Minister of any concerns? I don't think that is plausible.
    -If Cowen could so blatently ignore these memo's what other advise did he ignore?
    -Why did Cowen jack up the FÁS budget to €1bn at a time of full employment and why did he fail to take heed of points raised by his officials?

Cowen 'was warned about FÁS spending' | BreakingNews.ie
    Last edited by LDF; 27th October 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of the FAS budget is Training Allowances/ CE schemes tied to social welfare rates.

Even the full employment thing is a bit of red herring - how many apprentices were there during that period? Those unemployed (still around 4%) would have been required to go through FAS and take up training.

There was (is?) plenty wrong with FAS, but I'd like to see specific elements that were at issue rather than this tarnish everything they've ever done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bertie made me do it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Greasing palms is an expensive business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Most of the FAS budget is Training Allowances/ CE schemes tied to social welfare rates.

Even the full employment thing is a bit of red herring - how many apprentices were there during that period? Those unemployed (still around 4%) would have been required to go through FAS and take up training.

There was (is?) plenty wrong with FAS, but I'd like to see specific elements that were at issue rather than this tarnish everything they've ever done.
    Brian Cowen was told in 2004 and 2006 by his officials that FÁS's €800m budget was questionable and not properly focused.

Did he instigate an independent review of FÁS? No.
    Did he haul the FÁS lads in for a line by line review of their expenditure? No.
    Did he even maintain the FÁS budget at €800m and tell them to live with it? No.
    Did he give them an extra €200m of your money and mine - no questions asked? Hell yes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's a solicitor, what would he know about finance?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see Sweary Mary is trying to rebrand / relaunch FAS!
    how does the song go?

Meet the new FAS
    Same as the old FAS............
    ....... Wont get fooled again.
    [Who: Wont Get Fooled Again.]

She hopes we will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samell View Post
    I see Sweary Mary is trying to rebrand / relaunch FAS!
    how does the song go?

Meet the new FAS
    Same as the old FAS............
    ....... Wont get fooled again.
    [Who: Wont Get Fooled Again.]

She hopes we will.

ANCO MkIII

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default JOBFIT and FAS robbing jobs from you!

Not one bit suprised about that,our country is run by FF thickos,FFers were sitting on the board of FAS(a job scam providing free labour to businesses while providing NO job oppurtunities) and by the looks of it FG will pull the same stunt they have JOBFIT(another free labour scam,yes that's right you don't get paid a penny for your efforts),yes FG members are sitting on the board of JOBFIT,more economic ruin to continue..

Fas has done nothing but rob jobs from the poor replacing what should be a full time paid job,with free labour..

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should also be noted that the Department of Social Welfare, back in that same period of 'full employment', hired several hundred extra staff. Only in Ireland...
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?