Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unemployed, has a medical card and yet just handed a €500 medical bill.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unemployed, has a medical card and yet just handed a €500 medical bill.

My Sister and her family are unemployed, like many others both of them lost their well paid jobs and now have to survive on state benefits.

Today she has just contacted me in floods of tears.

Her Husband could be going blind, his optican wants him to be referred to an eye doctor for a second opinion. However because of Government waiting lists he has been advised to go Private otherwise he runs the risk of further damaging his sight whilst waiting which could be well over a year.

The cost for a private eye Doctor is between €150.00 -€ 200.00.

Her youngest daughter has been on a waiting list for a tooth extraction at the hospital for over 1 year. The tooth cannot be extracted by a normal dentist. The child has now started to develop severe pain because the tooth has rotted for the past year inside the child`s mouth.

She has contacted her local hospital only to be told that they could be waiting another year at least, as the child is in severe pain she has to do something so she contacted a privated dentist who can do the extraction needed.

The cost for this is around €300.00.

how in Gods`s name does this government or anyone who thinks people on welfare have it too good , think someone on a medical card can find €500.00 to have medical services that should be free?

Do they leave their child in agony and face the prospect of the husband going blind because the state cant afford it but yet can throw Billions at banks and ministers driven around in luxury cars?

Their only choice is not to pay their mortgage for a month, ESB bill and any other debts they have.

Its disgusting and im sure my Sister isnt the only one with these problems.

Next time people think a medical card is someting special I suggest they look into the real worth of it.

Bi Cuin, is there anyway, you and other members of your family could rally around and offer some money to help pay the medical bills?
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't this a situation where her extended family could rally around? 500 euro could be fairly easily collected.

The state is falling apart, so we need to create our own safety nets.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    Bi Cuin, is there anyway, you and other members of your family could rally around and offer some money to help pay the medical bills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbody View Post
    Isn't this a situation where her extended family could rally around? 500 euro could be fairly easily collected.

The state is falling apart, so we need to create our own safety nets.

We have, I just wanted to highlight the issue and bring it to light because im sure there are many families in the same situation who cant go to their family for help.

I also want to show people that a Medical card isnt the holy grail that some people think it is, and people on welfare arent living it up.

Whilst my Sister`s husband and daughter will get the health care they need, how many others around Ireland wont?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In the area where I live there was a man who committed suicide recently and his family were left destitute. The local community rallied around and organized various fund raising events and pulled together quite a sizable amount of money for the wife and children. It was great to see. This kind of thing will become more common as the state fails to provide a proper safety net. We've all got to stick together to get out of this - families, neighbours and communities.

(Sadly, it should be noted that the local Catholic priest refused to help to raise funds for the family. A great pity.)
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Two people on unemployment benefit (not to mention the redundancty payments from their "well paid jobs") should never have allowed themselves to get into this position.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Two people on unemployment benefit (not to mention the redundancty payments from their "well paid jobs") should never have allowed themselves to get into this position.
    Because presumably they don't have a mortgage and their understanding of the purpose of a medical card meant that they knew that they had to pay for medical treatment then yeah how could the be so stupid.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 people on unemployment benefit?

How much do you think they receive.

They didnt get unemployment benefits until there redundancy ran out, and most of that went into paying of debts whilst trying to survive.

Only 1 got redundancy which wasnt a lot anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. How dare he go blind at a time like this?

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is this being posted in Current Affairs? There's a Health forum, I really don't understand why some users don't respect the fact that there are appropriate fora already in place.

Moved to Health.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast