Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Varadkar on the Eamon & Joan show

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Varadkar on the Eamon & Joan show

Leo Varadkar was on Ivan Yates' Newstalk programme this morning. He spoke of the "Eamon & Joan show". He said what they are saying is not honest - no tax increases, no spending cuts etc. He said that after an election the real Labour will have to stand up and that hopefully that will be the Labour of Quinn, Sherlock and Rabitte.

A political journalist stated that he had interviewed Gilmore and after a number of minutes of Gilmore saying what he wouldn't do the journalist had listed these things all back to him - no tax increases except top1%, no spending cuts etc etc - and Gilmore said yes to the list.

Varadkar surely has a point when he says that Eamon Gilmore & Joan Burton are being dishonest. Obviously Fianna Fail need to be removed from power at next election but the opposition parties should be honest about what they will do. At present, Labour are not being honest.

Interesting to hear Varadkar attacking Gilmore & Burton and will be interesting to see how vicious the battle between FG and Labour gets in the run up to the next GE.

Finally, it is maybe understandable that Labour are not fully honest as some of the population are not the cleverest and believe that there doesn't have to be any hard calls made. It is a sad state of affairs but maybe you can't be honest and get elected.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Doesn't Enda also live in the same deluded land of magic bean economics? I'd like Varadkar to take his own party leader to task over this "no cuts to this than and the other" nonsense before he attacks the other shower.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, but Fine Gael's policies are just as lousy as Fianna Fail's. I agree, Labour need to stop hiding their policies. At least people can feel some level of hope is they hear them. However, on an academic level, I understand their strategy. Fianna Fail would distract themselves from their own gravedigging if they had Labour policies to attack.

Nevertheless, I am concerned. Labour supported the Croke Park Deal which is now unworkable and have agreed to reduce deficit to 3% by 2014 which is next to impossible. Reading between the lines, we can see where they are going with this one. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreshStart View Post
    Yes, but Fine Gael's policies are just as lousy as Fianna Fail's. I agree, Labour need to stop hiding their policies. At least people can feel some level of hope is they hear them. However, on an academic level, I understand their strategy. Fianna Fail would distract themselves from their own gravedigging if they had Labour policies to attack.
    I think it's more to do with the public attacking their policies rather than Fianna Fail. If, as one suspects, they're about taxing the crap out of everyone who isn't a public sector worker, dole scrounger or union member then it's pretty much understandable that they would want to hide it. That said, as you suggest below "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" because that's pretty much what FF/Greenies are doing now.

Nevertheless, I am concerned. Labour supported the Croke Park Deal which is now unworkable and have agreed to reduce deficit to 3% by 2014 which is next to impossible. Reading between the lines, we can see where they are going with this one. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Labour come out with their policies now every edition of The Sunday Independent between now and the election would focus on attacking and distorting Labour's plans. As Labour appears to be the chosen destination for most ex-FF voters the plan would be to scare them back to the fold.

I won't be a Labour voter but I think they are right not to show their hand until closer to an election. The government are in power. Until an election is called their's are the only policies that matter.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esttopt View Post

Interesting to hear Varadkar attacking Gilmore & Burton and will be interesting to see how vicious the battle between FG and Labour gets in the run up to the next GE.
    There will be skin and hair flying, particularly at local level. As it should be.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    If Labour come out with their policies now every edition of The Sunday Independent between now and the election would focus on attacking and distorting Labour's plans.
    Boo-f**king-hoo.

I won't be a Labour voter but I think they are right not to show their hand until closer to an election. The government are in power. Until an election is called their's are the only policies that matter.
    WTF?
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey cookie you do realise that us PS workers pay tax on our income the same as the next man so if labour\fine Gael\monster raving looney party decide to increase tax we will get the same cut as you. I am under no illusions about cuts coming down the line and noone is going to be spared rich or poor private or public.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esttopt View Post
    Leo Varadkar was on Ivan Yates' Newstalk programme this morning. He spoke of the "Eamon & Joan show". He said what they are saying is not honest - no tax increases, no spending cuts etc. He said that after an election the real Labour will have to stand up and that hopefully that will be the Labour of Quinn, Sherlock and Rabitte.
    Finally someone in FG realises the seriousness of the Labour threat. I wouldn't think he has any particular gra for Rabbitte and Quinn but you would know exactly where you stood with them. Gilmore and Burton are simply cowardly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour should put detailed policies out now, so they can be compared to the Governments (due in 6 weeks for the budget) and FG (presumably also due in 6 weeks given Noonan was non commital on Morning Ireland as to when they'd publish theirs).

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast