Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaels in Ireland... and Gaill (Meiriceánaigh)

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gaels in Ireland... and Gaill (Meiriceánaigh)

Reading and debating on this thread I started yesterday about the all-Irish naming policy possibly coming into Fingal I have been struck again by the anti-Irish language attitude some have. But hardly any of them are West-Brits. They are more Anglo-American culturally and probably don't have many if any distinctive Irish traits but they are probably more influenced by American culture than English culture (although ironically on the matter of naming residential developments we have been influenced a lot by strict English culture). If they don't like the Irish language or don't think that it is a desired language generally I would say that they are not true gaels. You don't have to speak fluent Irish to be a true gael in my view (and I am not even totally fluent either) but I think that if you don't like the Irish language and do not consider it desirable to be able to speak it and you are Irish that you are a gall. You could say a colonised Irish person except that today you are colonised by Anglo-American culture as distinct from Anglo culture. So perhaps the term should be a 'gall Meiriceánach'?

Considering that the term West-Brit does not apply to hardly anyone in Ireland (even the English people in Ireland have more interest in indigenous Irish culture then the nihilistic Gaill Meiricéanaigh do) it holds no water when you throw it at people. So again, perhaps we should use the term gall Meiriceánach a lot more often.
    Last edited by Darren J. Prior; 27th October 2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You should try and pass a law mandating that people are referred to like that. People love being told how to speak, it'd really make the phrase popular.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    You should try and pass a law mandating that people are referred to like that. People love being told how to speak, it'd really make the phrase popular.

Eh, no I wouldn't be in favour of a law on this. But the term should perhaps replace the out-of-date West Brit.
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sure. We certainly need another moronic phrase to replace an older moronic phrase. Now we've settled that, let's think of a new word for Honky.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gall Meiriceánach translates as Anglo-American. I think the word sounds better in Irish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's this sort of bollixology that stands in the way of language revival IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The universe doesn't like a vacumn as M. Scott Peck said and the people I am talking about never or generally never express any pride in being Irish or have any respect for Irish culture so they should not be surprised when they are termed gaill-Meireánaigh or Anglo-Americans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    It's this sort of bollixology that stands in the way of language revival IMO.
    It's like any minority cause unfortunately, the zealot loons always take away from the main discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure. We certainly need another moronic phrase to replace an older moronic phrase. Now we've settled that, let's think of a new word for Honky.
    Now Sync I have read some of your posts on the Fingal tread regarding the Irish language. I wouldn't describe you as a West Brit as such. I would say you have more of an inferiority complex about being Irish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's like any minority cause unfortunately, the zealot loons always take away from the main discussion.
    I would say that anyone who is Irish and who does not have a good amount of patriotism is not in the main- in terms of representation anyway.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast