Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Was the MV Rachel Corrie Cambodian registered to pay the crew slave wages?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Was the MV Rachel Corrie Cambodian registered to pay the crew slave wages?

I point that should have been brought up re the MV Rachie Corrie is that it was registered with a flag of convenience. It also has been reported that the vessel carried 6 Malaysian 'crew' as well as the 8 activists. Was the Rachel Corrie flying a flag of convenience to evade Irish labour law and pay slave wages to the Malaysian crew? Very simple question, what were they being paid? In all the commentary re the Rachel Corrie it appears that the Malaysians were just workers, not activists, so the question remains were the Irish Free Gaza movement involved in human exploitation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Uh no. The ship was registered in Cambodia prior to seizure by the Irish. When it was bought at auction the new owners just kept the registration up to date. I've no idea why posters don't make even the slightest of effort to google these things before opening threads.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Uh no. The ship was registered in Cambodia prior to seizure by the Irish. When it was bought at auction the new owners just kept the registration up to date. I've no idea why posters don't make even the slightest of effort to google these things before opening threads.
    But as an Irish ship were the 6 Malaysian crewmen paid Irish level wages? Google does not seem to have the answers I'm afraid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I did actually and it was Cambodian registered since 2005. My point is that it was using a flag of convenience, I made no comment about Free Gaza changing its registration - I never made that allegation. But they did maintain its Cambodian registration, typicially this is done to pay labour rates of circa $2/hour under Maritime law rather than the higher minimum wage rates paid in countries like Ireland. So I am just asking what rates were the Malaysian crew paid? I am sure that with so many 'human rights activists' aboard the vessel they could not have a blind spot on this, or, were they engaged in exploitation themselves?
    Last edited by gijoe; 29th October 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe someone on here can help me with this question; Are the aid ships that leave Ireland for Gaza covered by maritime insurance? It's just I can't imagine any insurance company covering a ship that's heading to a war zone. If there is then I would assume the premium for cover would be astronomical, as the insurance company would be covering the ship as well as the passengers and the cargo. If there are maritime insurance companies willing to cover ships sailing into a war zone, where there is almost certainty there will be some form of conflict or confiscation, then how much is the cover and who is paying it? I'm also assuming the ships are covered by maritime insurance, because if they are not, then why are the Irish Authorities, and the authorities in each port they dock in, not ensuring they are covered by insurance before being allowed sail?
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    I did actually and it was Cambodian registered since 2005. My point is that it was using a flag of convenience, I made no comment about Free Gaza changing its registration - I never made that allegation. But they did maintain is Cambodian registration, typicially this is done to pay labour rates of circa $2/hour under Maritime law rather than the higher minimum wage rates paid in countries like Ireland. So I am just asking what rates were the Malaysian crew paid? I am sure that with so many 'human rights activists' aboard the vessel they could not have a blind spot on this, or, were they engaged in exploitation themselves?
    Actually no, you are insinuating that they were payed slave wages. Have you any proof of that?
    I actually don't know (and neither do you apparently) but let's try what has become known as the Israeli defence.

"If you have a probelm with wages payed to sailors on Vietnamese vessels then then why aren't you condemning other Vietnamese vessels and indeed Vietnam?"
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Actually no, you are insinuating that they were payed slave wages. Have you any proof of that?
    I am not insinuating anything. I am just posing what is a reasonable question in the circumstances, which if there is nothing to hide would be very easy to answer.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    I am not insinuating anything. I am just posing what is a reasonable question in the circumstances, which if there is nothing to hide would be very easy to answer.
    Was the Rachel Corrie flying a flag of convenience to evade Irish labour law and pay slave wages to the Malaysian crew?
    were the Irish Free Gaza movement involved in human exploitation?
    No, you're not insinuating anything...

So why aren't you giving out about Vietnamese laws on maritime wages? (or dealing with the Israeli defence, as it were)
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    No, you're not insinuating anything...

So why aren't you giving out about Vietnamese laws on maritime wages? (or dealing with the Israeli defence, as it were)
    I have said nothing about Vietnam! The vessel was Cambodian registered. The minimum wage is set under International Maritime Law as I understand it. It is then up to each country to set their labour standards thereafter, as we do in Ireland.