Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Liam T Cosgrave charged re alleged corrupt payments

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liam T Cosgrave charged re alleged corrupt payments

Cosgrave faces corrupt payment charges - RT News

Former Fine Gael TD and Senator Liam T Cosgrave has appeared at Dublin District Court charged with five offences relating to allegations of receiving corrupt payments.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will there be any further prosecutions just out of interest?

The son of a Taoiseach and Grandson of one of the first President of the Executive Council. I shall say no more because of the DGDS rule, but if convicted this supasses Lowry, Burke and Lawlor in terms of holding high profile politicians accountable for their mis-deeds.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    That was a quick trial Tomas. I didn't know our court system was so productive a guilty verdict could be delivered within minutes of charges being laid out.

I am not saying he is guilty, just that DPP has decided he has a case to answer.I hope rash comments otherwise would not affect a fair trial. He was not a high profile politician, senator I think he was.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    I am not saying he is guilty, just that DPP has decided he has a case to answer.I hope rash comments otherwise would not affect a fair trial. He was not a high profile politician, senator I think he was.
    I would suggest that your original statement was pretty rash and mine not.

Anyway, the last thing I will say on this is that I hope people aren't looking forward to a "Madoff moment" out of the trial of this man and the FF four. Given the evidence that the DPP will be relying upon (Tribunal statements etc already in the public domain) I think they will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The son of a Taoiseach and Grandson of one of the first President of the Executive Council. I shall say no more because of the DGDS rule, but if convicted this supasses Lowry, Burke and Lawlor in terms of holding high profile politicians accountable for their mis-deeds.
    He didn't lick it off the grass. So he won't be convicted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>
    Locking pro tem... and this thread may well vanish
    </Mod>
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    That's ridiculous. Unlike two of the three you mention, he was never Minister. The allegations relate to wrongdoing as a local councillor, FFS.
    (Although if convicted of outright corruption, that would outstrip in seriousness the technical offences that saw Burke and Lawlor go to jail).