Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painless new taxes on sugar,fat and salt in confectionery, processed foods and drinks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Painless new taxes on sugar,fat and salt in confectionery, processed foods and drinks

In its desperation to raise taxes,the government could tax constructively by introducing a special VAT tax of,say 40%,on excessive sugar,salt and fat in confectionery, processed foods and drinks.That would help to discipline people's appetite for consuming junk and pay for the medical costs associated with that.

Once the levels of sugar,sugar substitutes, salt and added fats in confectionery,drink and food go above certain points considered unhealthy,the 40% tax should apply. These levels should be monitored easily by occasional lab spot checks for drinks and confectionary,though maybe less so for packaged meals.

The main disadvantage is that Irish producers of processed foods and drinks would lose business and jobs-a small price to pay for stopping the obesity epidemic and the explosion in medical costs for treating diabetes and heart disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe the maximum vat rate allowed in the EU is 25%.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

taxes would only be painless if we didn't have to pay them which of course means they wouldn't generate much in terms of revenue

I agree with the concept of hitting really unhealthy stuff at the till but don't see it as a silver bullett !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Generally the cheapest products on the supermarket shelves contain the highest amounts of sugar,salt etc. These items are usually purchased by people on a very tight budget thus increasing taxes on these products tends to hit the less well off hardest. I know that's a lot of generalising but you get my gist.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Great Idea.

I don't know how practical your op is the real world,
    but we as a Country need to change the way we eat and drink
    We cannot afford it any more.

The way to save money in health in the medium to long run is to get people
    to exercise, eat well, drink less and stop smoking. simples!

The obesity and drink culture in the country needs to tackled head on by
    all means necessary.

Its a shame our Clowen and Harney are a drunk and obese respectively.
    Is there any other country in world where the MOH is obese
    I see Fine gael spokemans on health is also obese

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slightly off topic, but my "painless tax" would be a €150 tax on all renting bouncy castles, and trampoulines.

Less visits to the A&E, for children, and drunken mammies and daddies.

We may not generate much, but we'd clear unnecessary hospital visits.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    Generally the cheapest products on the supermarket shelves contain the highest amounts of sugar,salt etc. These items are usually purchased by people on a very tight budget thus increasing taxes on these products tends to hit the less well off hardest. I know that's a lot of generalising but you get my gist.
    Not necessarily - i find that if you buy less processed foods (eggs, fruit, veg etc) that they work out cheaper. I think that convenience foods which are more processed cost more overall.

I think the biggest objection to an idea like this would be from farmers etc as items like cheese, meat etc would get hit with the higher tax too..

but i think it would be a great idea. Or even possibly use the money raised to offer a reduced VAT rate on healthy food. It wouldnt help out deficit but it would make us a healthier nation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a prize in December or something for the person with the most austere measures to sort our deficits?

So why not just cap it all ... €5000 once off GREEN JERSEY payment ( for the moment anyway ) from EVER person living in Ireland. Come on its our patriotic duty

Cap that one

Robut

There would need to be a study done on the in-elasticity of junk food. certain types etc. to move people off junk food may take more than price levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1cent tax on all texts sent!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast