Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurants in Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Restaurants in Ireland

Having been out a few times in Dublin recently and having spent a lot of time in London lately, why is it that it is considerably more expensive to eat out here than in London? Is it due to more competition over there or are we being plainly ripped off? Why is a glass of house wine 5 or 6 euros here whereas you'll pay 3.50 or so over there? If we're really in the depths of recession etc, can these prices be justified? Are overheads here just far more expensive?
    It's really outrageous that places charge 12/13 euros for a pizza in a restaurant, in this day and age...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Economies of scale

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gayguy2000 View Post
    Having been out a few times in Dublin recently and having spent a lot of time in London lately, why is it that it is considerably more expensive to eat out here than in London? Is it due to more competition over there or are we being plainly ripped off? Why is a glass of house wine 5 or 6 euros here whereas you'll pay 3.50 or so over there? If we're really in the depths of recession etc, can these prices be justified? Are overheads here just far more expensive?
    It's really outrageous that places charge 12/13 euros for a pizza in a restaurant, in this day and age...
    +1. Cost of eating out in Ireland drives me bonkers.

Restaurants have priced me out of the market. I simply can't afford it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like food and I like eating out but prices here are prohibitvely high. Here going out for a meal is more about 'status', 'special occasion' instead of enjoying good food at a reasonable price. Some restaurants do good Early Bird Meuns at competive prices, but it's the wine, as you say, that's a rip off. It must be tough on the restauranteers though, with high rents, costs and VAT. I think that's where the problem lies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People go on about early bird specials and lunch specials etc, but even those just bring it down to an almost reasonable price, and i dont think we should have to depend on specials to eat out.
    Yesterday at a place on Parliament st, 25.50 for a pizza and a calzone, with tap water. That's shocking, 25.50 for some flour and cheese. And that restaurant is considered cheap.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have yet to figure out why many restaurants add on a charge for groups of more than 6 or 8. You'd think it would be the opposite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Getting alot cheaper, you can get mains for a tenner in alot of places midweek both in the city centre and the suburbs. I haven't paid more than 15 for 2 courses in a long time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never understood why pizza was so insanely expensive in the south alright.

In fairness there are some reasonable-ish deals out there now if you look around. Couple of weeks back we had a grand meal for two before the Bill Bailey show in a fine little Lebanese restaurant in Dublin. No drink involved but for a huge 3-course feed, large portions and great food - €43 (before tip). By Dublin standards I thought that was pretty good and a lot better than it would have been 2 years ago.

In NE Donegal, the Firebox Grill in Fahan and the Drunken Duck in Shroove both do great food at reasonable prices.

There's quality and (relatively speaking) value to be had, and I think if you find somewhere like that you should try to save a few shekels to give them a visit once a month to keep them going. What we need this recession to do is clean out all the overpriced tat, but keep the well-run places providing a decent product at a reasonable price going.

But really, somebody has got to do something about the price of pizza...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Getting alot cheaper, you can get mains for a tenner in alot of places midweek both in the city centre and the suburbs. I haven't paid more than 15 for 2 courses in a long time.
    Yes but mains for a tenner isn't groundbreaking. I was in a really nice kind of fancy bar/restaurant in Shepard's Bush last week and the Sunday Roast cost £7. I think a carvery lunch here in Dublin, without service, is about 13e. I wonder if it will be any different in the next few years.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm spoilt now living in France. €20 you'll get you a quite acceptable (by French standards, and approaching fine dining by Irish) 3 course meal. Throw ten or twenty euroe on top of it and you have a fine bottle of French wine to boot (and none of yer aul' Beaujolais either).
    Ireland is, and always was, a rip off for eating out, amongst other things
    Last edited by The Caped Cod; 26th October 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast