It occurred to me, as a result of the discussions on the de-nazification of Fianna Fail thread, that Fine Gael and Labour should really be making plans NOW, for entry into government.
We've seen with Obama, that even though the Republicans caused the mess, the tables were very quickly turned against him. FG-Lab need to be very careful how they begin their new term, as we know perception is everything.
They need to be able to hit the ground running in a business like manner, at the very least to give the public confidence in them over the longer term. Both parties should be making these plans together, in private and in secrecy, especially as they will be showing how distinct they are, in the leadup to the next election.
With that in mind, what would you like a FG-Labour government to tackle ?
The following is my wishlist, in no particular order and not exhaustive....
- We need to know how bad things are. I'm sure FF are still hiding the truth. Get EVERYTHING out in the open. The markets will appreciate it, the public will also. At the moment, it's like death by a thousand cuts.
- Review/Change the FF 4 year plan. The emphasis in cuts/taxes is highly likely to be badly structured.
- NAMA/Anglo. Can we get out of it ? Is Peter Mathews right that this can be shut down at a far lower cost ? Is too late even for that ?
- Stand up to the EU bullies like Rehn. We have more muscle than we are currently displaying. We must do what is right for Ireland, not what is right for Rehn etc.
- Invest in major infrastructure projects the will benefit the country, like the National Broadband implementation, immediately.
- We, the public, want to see the FF Developers/Bertie crushed, bankrupted and chased down for every last cent of hidden funds. It's part of the healing process....
- Quangos. FG-Lab have an opportunity to clear out/get rid of the Quangos that are loaded with FF free loaders. For the Quangos that remain, the challenge they have is not to replace them with FG-Lab freeloaders but bring in a system
that selects the best qualified person for the job.
- The public also want to see action on Fianna Fail criminality. There are HUGE potential PR wins for a new Government here. As i suggested on the De-nazification thread that "People recoil at tribunals, but the ones set up from 1997 by FF were never meant to get results. Consequently, 3 or 4 McCracken style tribunals with draconian powers working alongside a focused CAB would be helpful as well."
- One of worst FF Quangos has been the DAA, the old Aer Rianta. They went out of their way to run Shannon and Cork Airports into the ground, leaving Cork in the height of debt, Shannon powerless to act, while giving outrageously over priced contracts to their cronies.
All this while building a lavish monument to their own vanity. A FG-Lab government needs to make Shannon and Cork independent and debt free. It also needs to divest itself of Aer Lingus shares, who have long since ceased to be the national airline.
They also need to call Aer Lingus and Ryanair's bluff re the Travel tax by dropping the tax in return for delivering tourists into the country.
The emphasis should be on reducing the landing charges to a minimal amount for the next 5 years to encourage people to visit. Airports are currently like a closed watertap stopping the flow. Make it easy for people to visit.
- The Freedom of information Act must be restored to when it was originally brought in by FG-LAB.
- We need proper regulation in the banking sector with the proper enforcement powers. It should be illegal for a regulator for mix socially with bankers.
- Can we have a CAB for Fitzy and the boys ? Can we withdraw their citizenship ?
- Why haven't the likes of Ernst & Young, who signed off on the Anglo accounts, not been held to account for their incompetence ?
- While the return from Stamp Duty is so poor, we need to significantly lower Stamp Duty while bringing in a property tax, so we are never again dependent on once off property taxes.
- We need a tightly regulated LICENCED Estate Agent sector. It should be a criminal offence and loss of licence, for an Estate Agent to engage in phantom bidding and deliberate underselling etc.
- I believe the excuse for not publishing the price a property was sold for, is supposed to be a Data Protection issue. If so, it must be changed immediately. The price of every
property sold must be freely available, as it will help keep a proper perspective on the rise/fall of prices, and it could also help in tax evasion issues.
4) Green Policies
Those that affect the economy negatively, must be discarded.
- James Reilly has talked the talk. Let's see if he can now turn this mess around. The top heavy management in the HSE must be vastly reduced. I would like to see Despicable Mary's attempted Americanisation of our health service to be reversed if possible, especially those co-located hospitals.
I don't understand why FG or Labour haven't set up phone numbers where people can confidentially call about waste in the Public/Civil Service.
- The mandarins in the Civil Service have to be made take bigger cuts. You can bring people with you on taxes if they see it is fair. However, you'll only wreck public confidence if they see themselves taking the hit, while the elite get away with less than what they should be paying.
- Tax loopholes should be closed, especially this 180 day nonsense.