Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY abortions in Ireland

Default DIY abortions in Ireland

Customs seized 1,216 packs of illegal abortion drugs in 2009 - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 26, 2010

Clinics such as the Marie Stopes Reproductive Choices, and a number of GPs who have declined to comment, say they have seen an increase in women seeking assistance after taking these drugs. In many cases, they say women affected said they could not afford to travel abroad for an abortion or, in the case of immigrant women, felt unable to leave the country due to their residency status.
    Looks like we're not just "exporting" the problem anymore.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Thenumbers of women recording Irish home addresses having abortions in the UK and Holland has gone down the last few years. The drop in number precedes the crash and as it didn't make sense that more women would conceal their Irish addresses, it looked like the numbers of Irish women travelling abroad had gone down which I think the Crisis Pregnancy Agency were particularly pleased about because it looked like their work was having an effect.

Maybe this explains part of the drop in numbers of women travelling. I'm totally pro-choice for entirely pragmatic reasons - whatever moral position I might privately hold it's going to happen whether legal or not and it should be safe and available so that women aren't vulnerable to damage caused by, for example, illegal drugs bought unofficially like this.

It's time legislation for the limited abortion mandated by the constitutional amendment to be put on the books.
    Last edited by Mar Tweedy; 26th October 2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Apologies for bad phrasing - can't edit, I'm posting from phone.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a recent high profile case of immigrants (aren't we all*^) in Australia using these drugs. Abortion couple Tegan Simone Leach and Sergie Brennan found not guilty | Perth Now

*Immigrants, not abortionists.
    ^ almost all.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They seized 1,200 packs? This is merely the tip of the iceberg then.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would imagine the vast majority of these women were in dire straights and that they felt this was the only option to them. As much as the pro life lobby will witter on about pain etc think about it, wouldnt it be more humane to use anesthetic and abort the foetus than having a young woman take drugs which could harm her and the feoetus feel pain? I think Mar Tweedy sums it up perfectly, regardless of whatever your moral view points its going to come in (i.e. abortion) in the near future,certainly in the next ten to twenty years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    I would imagine the vast majority of these women were in dire straights and that they felt this was the only option to them. As much as the pro life lobby will witter on about pain etc think about it, wouldnt it be more humane to use anesthetic and abort the foetus than having a young woman take drugs which could harm her and the feoetus feel pain?
    These drugs are meant to be used before 8 weeks for abortion mate. Later on they can be used to induce labour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    These drugs are meant to be used before 8 weeks for abortion mate. Later on they can be used to induce labour.
    Ah cheers Cruimh, I wasnt aware of that! I wonder what circumstances the women were in who tried the DIY abortions

Ah, here we go again - 'dire straits,' and 'crisis' pregnancies - Emotional phrases used to justify killing the unborn child.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MontgomeryClift View Post
    Ah, here we go again - 'dire straits,' and 'crisis' pregnancies - Emotional phrases used to justify killing the unborn child.
    Thats it let them grow up in a junkie household with lice crawling all over them and starving, sure tis better to live in poverty than to never have a chance at all....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We wouldnt have these ridiculous threads if the masses were sterilized . Sterilize the masses already ! C'mon wake up . You know it makes sense .

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast