Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Sinn Féin, the ESRI, The Unions all agree that deficit cut timeframe is wrong.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sinn Féin, the ESRI, The Unions all agree that deficit cut timeframe is wrong.

    Sinn Féin are the only political party on the opposition side to reject the Fianna fail /Fine Gael/Labour 2014 timescale. They are backed by the ESRI and The trade union economic experts. The three main partys are now firmly alligned and I wonder have Labour been hoodwinked by their lust for power and a desire not to upset Fine Gael pre election. They could have hardly gone against the FF/FG concensus and alligned themselves with SF given that SF had firmly stated that its madness to take billions out of an economy in such a tight time frame !. Where did the 2014 timescale come from , ? of course the EU and the "markets". and the demand for "Concensus" the markets again. One of the main tenets of soveriegnty, that of financial independance has been sold off, Irish budgets have to be approved by those who have no interest in the well being of Irish citizens.
    Are those who will post here shortly denouncing SF economic policy on this issue are automatically backing the concensus partys position. ?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well if the ESRI, the Shinners and the Unions all say it's wrong, that me decided.

    It's right.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So the budget deficit has to be 3% in 4 years.

    But Sinn Féin say no.

    They'll no doubt give us a reasoned economic case as to why it should be say 5% over 6 years.

    Some hope. They'll just oppose and paint themselves as the only real opposition which will guarantee them

    a) votes from the some of the uninformed poor

    b) complete disdain from opinion-formers and anyone with the slightest understanding of what is going on

    Which means they won't see power - and they can carry on protesting and avoiding their responsibilities to the honest poor.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    Sinn Féin are the only political party on the opposition side to reject the Fianna fail /Fine Gael/Labour 2014 timescale. They are backed by the ESRI and The trade union economic experts. The three main partys are now firmly alligned and I wonder have Labour been hoodwinked by their lust for power and a desire not to upset Fine Gael pre election. They could have hardly gone against the FF/FG concensus and alligned themselves with SF given that SF had firmly stated that its madness to take billions out of an economy in such a tight time frame !. Where did the 2014 timescale come from , ? of course the EU and the "markets". and the demand for "Concensus" the markets again. One of the main tenets of soveriegnty, that of financial independance has been sold off, Irish budgets have to be approved by those who have no interest in the well being of Irish citizens.
    Are those who will post here shortly denouncing SF economic policy on this issue are automatically backing the concensus partys position. ?
    Yea, but it's not only the timescale that is wrong. It's the sheer effrontery in threatening to cut the income of less well off and their services, while leaving the wealth of the greedy gamblers who trousered €billions intact. No, that's wrong, they are giving them €200,000 of our money to maintain the style to which they have become accustomed.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There is an pre budget submission document that will has been independantly verified that will soon be available. Of course the likes of you won't study it. Far better to snipe and sneer. we know one thing , that those that got us into this mess can verifibly be described as economic illiterates !!!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antsrathcam View Post
    b) complete disdain from opinion-formers and anyone with the slightest understanding of what is going on
    In fairness you mean the same people who distained them the last time while lauding Michael McDowell for his grasp of economics and astute policy observations like "The Government doesn't need the money from Stamp Duty"

    Sinn Fein have noting to lose from being radical. They won't be in government anyway.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antsrathcam View Post
    So the budget deficit has to be 3% in 4 years.

    But Sinn Féin say no.

    They'll no doubt give us a reasoned economic case as to why it should be say 5% over 6 years.

    Some hope. They'll just oppose and paint themselves as the only real opposition which will guarantee them

    ...

    b) complete disdain from opinion-formers and anyone with the slightest understanding of what is going on
    aka cheer-leaders for the boom who sneered "economic illiterates" at anyone who pointed out the obvious truth that a bust was sure to follow.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    aka cheer-leaders for the boom who sneered "economic illiterates" at anyone who pointed out the obvious truth that a bust was sure to follow.
    so obvious and well pointed out that you'll find no trouble in referencing me.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The 3% is a totally arbitrary figure that both France and Germany breached in recent years - yet we are obliged to drive the economy into the toilet to satisfy the 'markets' and 'bondholders'.
    Separate Church and State

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    The 3% is a totally arbitrary figure that both France and Germany breached in recent years - yet we are obliged to drive the economy into the toilet to satisfy the 'markets' and 'bondholders'.
    Now, I'm really worried , I agree with this post

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •