Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ROI Overseas Development 2011-2014

Question ROI Overseas Development 2011-2014

ROI Overseas Development 2011-2014

Minister refuses to rule out further cuts to aid budget - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 07, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Irish times View Post
    Mr Power said he could not predict whether the overseas aid budget, which stands at €671 million for 2010, will be subject to further pruning.
    Irelands Overseas Development Aid package in 2010 was 671 million
    My understanding is the tax take in 2010 was 33 billion
    So 0.671/33 = 2% of the tax money was sent overseas in 2011
    I understand that the target for overseas aid in Ireland and the developed world is 0.7%(actual is less) of GDP but in times of defiect and expanding National debt surely this target is erroneous and gives a false picture of what we are spending as a ratio to the National wealth.

I believe that wealthy countries should contribute to the Poorer countries
    with strings attached(human rights et all) especially in terms of disaster relief.
    However I think with the ROI current cash flow problems, AID in the short term should be drastically cutback.

I notice that England ringfenced spending on AID and health
    without a wimper from the public as far as I can see.
    Can anyone shine more light on this?
    Why no cuts in overseas aid at all?
    Is it imperial guilt or does England see its overseas aid package as helping
    Strategic and industrial aims(weapons sales etc).

My question is,
    Should in the short term the ROI cut its overseas AID bill
    until the state's finances have stablised.

Discuss?

Irish Aid - Homepage -

The government has no right to be giving our money away. Let people donate privately.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the present taxpayers are not paying anything for overseas aid
    It is our kids, who are paying for high morale of hypocrites from charity businesses

So, I would put question other way – should we let our kids make mistake or as good parents we will be strong enough to say no for subsidizing dictatorship regimes in Africa by charity beggars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    overseas aid package as helping
    Strategic and industrial aims
    And of course unlike the Brits we don't have such things, we just give away money to despots out of the kindness of our hearts, and ask nothing in return. Butter wouldn't melt in our mouths sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We need to cut our aid down to what we give to the UN bodies as part of our UN commitments. We cannot fund any other programmes through the next decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    We need to cut our aid down to what we give to the UN bodies as part of our UN commitments. We cannot fund any other programmes through the next decade.
    +1
    we should cease overseas aid untill such time as we get our own house in order.
    i read somewhere that housing asylum seekers has cost us in the region of 4billion since 2001,i dont have a link but ill try to find one.
    671 million in overseas aid is way too much while we have the spectre of the imf looming over us.

charity begins at home.

it also beggars belief that we have borrowed money to lend to greece,that madness also needs to stop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post

I wonder how much that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ocoonassa View Post
    And of course unlike the Brits we don't have such things, we just give away money to despots out of the kindness of our hearts, and ask nothing in return. Butter wouldn't melt in our mouths sure.
    Never said we did not
    but I think the UK's is greater for example their defence and avaition industry

Here's an irish example of AID being used in lets say for want of libel
    a funny way
    http://www.politics.ie/foreign-affai...il-uganda.html

Michael Martin goes to Uganda
    Michael Martin meets with Tullow oil while there(an Uk-irish oil company)
    Michael Martin announe 44 million a year aid for Uganda
    Tullow Oil announce oil deal in Uganda
    Two Fianna fail TDs are shareholders in Tullow Oil. Seamus Kirk and Sean Ardagh.(see post 151 p16 on link)
    What else don't we know about what went on here?

emmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Joanna Tuffy (Dublin Mid West, Labour)
    To ask the Minister for Foreign Affairs the amount of money given by Irish Aid to all Irish non-governmental organisations for the years 2008 and 2009; the predicted amount for 2010, in tabular form; and if he will make a statement on the matter

Ministers response
    Overseas Development Aid: 18 May 2010: Written answers (KildareStreet.com)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    Here's an irish example of AID being used in lets say for want of libel
    a funny way
    Well spotted, that's very interesting. Overseas Aid is just a slush fund that's been given an Orwellian name IMO. It's effect is actually the opposite of Aid. When people argue to cut back aid it's usually because they're under the impression that aid is for helping others, clearly, and indeed from this example you've found, it's all about helping ourselves. Some of us more than others apparently!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast