Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Labour member as Minister for Agriculture?

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Labour member as Minister for Agriculture?

I see that there is no Agriculture forum so I will just post in the Oireachtas forum.

Labour are hoping for a Gimore Gale at the next general election but I would say that even if they get one while they may be the biggest party in Dublin and some other urban areas they will still be behind both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil in rural areas.

So surely Labour would want to have one of their members being Minister for Agriculture, no? The Labour Minister would probably also have one other party Junior Minister in the Department also. If the Ministers do a good job in the Department it will be good for the party in rural areas. Currently Labour are seen as an urban party by most rural people I think but this could change.

Has a Labour member even ever been a Minister for Agriculture in Ireland?
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully, they would end the farmers dole. Thats two billion a year given to people just for being rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    I see that there is no Agriculture forum so I will just post in the Oireachtas forum.

Labour are hoping for a Gimore Gale at the next general election but I would say that even if they get one while they may be the biggest party in Dublin and some other urban areas they will still be behind both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil in rural areas.

So surely Labour would want to have one of their members being Minister for Agriculture, no? The Labour Minister would probably also have one other party Junior Minister in the Department also. If the Ministers do a good job in the Department it will be good for the party in rural areas. Currently Labour are seen as an urban party by most rural people I think but this could change.

not sure that a Labour Minister for Agriculture at a time of massive cutbacks would necessarily turn that perception around!

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is like saying that they would not like Finance also for the same reason. That could be the case but I don't think in reality that it is.
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | Wikimedia Commons |
    #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    not sure that a Labour Minister for Agriculture at a time of massive cutbacks would necessarily turn that perception around!
    Most rural voters are not landowners, so cutting the farmers dole could be very popular for the Labour Party in the rural areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post

Agriculture is an interest-group ministry, like Health; the interest group is never happy with the incumbent, because that would be a sign of weakness.

Never a Labour Minister in that department before, which is not surprising, because it's often given to a farmer, but a bit unusual, because the party used to be almost exclusively based in "rural" (small town) areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the last MRBI poll, labour were 3% among farmers, so this could potentially address that. Alan Kelly, Seán Sherlock or Willie Penrose would all be suited to that portfolio.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Most rural voters are not landowners, so cutting the farmers dole could be very popular for the Labour Party in the rural areas.
    Statistics for that? Irish people tend not to care if other people get subsidies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Hopefully, they would end the farmers dole.
    Well said. What is Labour policy on the CAP I wonder? Are they all for it like the rest of the people up in the Dáil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goban Saor View Post
    Irish people tend not to care if other people get subsidies.
    That's not what I heard them say, in fact lately they seem entirely opposed to free handouts of any sort, something to do with a deficit or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast