Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Latest open rescue by Animal Equality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Latest open rescue by Animal Equality

The open rescue of hens by Ingualdad Animal.

An act of love and respect.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/16163156]Rescate Abierto de gallinas || Igualdad Animal on Vimeo[/ame]

Ros

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cant see it, can you describe it in more detail?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if something like this would work over here? A very progressive move imo.

"Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers"

LINK: Animal Legal Defense Fund : Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers

Excerpt:

"Suffolk County, NY—Today, Suffolk County lawmakers voted unanimously to create the nation’s first animal abuser registry, designed to keep convicted abusers away from animals. Sponsored by Majority Leader Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor), the new law will require adults living in Suffolk County (population over 1.5 million) who have been convicted of animal abuse crimes to register on an online registry for five years following their convictions. In addition to the registry, an accompanying resolution, scheduled for a vote next month, would require animal shelters and those who sell animals to check an individual’s identity on the registry and prohibit them from adopting or selling to anyone found on it. "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keepitreal View Post
    I wonder if something like this would work over here? A very progressive move imo.

"Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers"

LINK: Animal Legal Defense Fund******:******Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers

Excerpt:

"Suffolk County, NY—Today, Suffolk County lawmakers voted unanimously to create the nation’s first animal abuser registry, designed to keep convicted abusers away from animals. Sponsored by Majority Leader Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor), the new law will require adults living in Suffolk County (population over 1.5 million) who have been convicted of animal abuse crimes to register on an online registry for five years following their convictions. In addition to the registry, an accompanying resolution, scheduled for a vote next month, would require animal shelters and those who sell animals to check an individual’s identity on the registry and prohibit them from adopting or selling to anyone found on it. "
    What a good idea, would never pass here though (waste of resources they would say). It surely wouldn't cost much just to compile the list, even if only animal shelters are allowed to check it and not ordinary citizens (though i would prefer if it was made available to all who live near an animal abuser) it would be useful.

Whatever else you can say about the Americans, they look after their domesticated animals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keepitreal View Post

LINK: Animal Legal Defense Fund******:******Historic Vote in Suffolk County, New York Creates Nation's First Registry for Animal Abusers

Excerpt:

A critical view of this initiative from law professor and leading animal rights philosopher, Gary Francione...

A Welfarist Dream Come True: The Animal Abuse Registry | Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach

Ros

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RootofStar View Post
    A critical view of this initiative from law professor and leading animal rights philosopher, Gary Francione...

A Welfarist Dream Come True: The Animal Abuse Registry | Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach

Ros
    He makes some very good points on this, I also feel he tends to view the NY registry as mainly negative and giving it's supporters a warm fuzzy feeling, which I guess for some thats dead on the nail, I guess there's two debates (and possibly more) to be had about where such a registry fits in or makes sense: first, imo, the cruelty debate - and it's definition then second the killing to eat debate. I'm not a vegan, so can't comment from that perspective.

I do believe however this registery is a step in the right direction if managed well.

How?

Like for instance that woman who threw the cat in the wheelie bin a few weeks back.. should she be allowed to go to an animal shelter and bring home an animal now, given the evidence we've seen? Would an Animal shelter or SPCA benefit of having a list of names of people convicted of animal cruelty so they could deny them on the basis of past actions?

What about those people who blew that dogs jaw off in Dublin using fireworks there in September, if caught and convicted, should they be allowed to be responsible for an animal in the future?

Certainly a registry isn't the answer to all problems in animal welfare and there is that larger Vegan perspective to consider too respecting G. Francione perspective (and fears?) but I at least think it's a step in the right direction, and most certainly to help and better enable those charged with the care of animals (Spca's).

Links to stories I was referring to above.
    CAT
    DOG
    Last edited by keepitreal; 26th October 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    Cant see it, can you describe it in more detail?

Spanish group liberates 5 hens.

Ros

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Battery farms are disgusting IMHO and exceptionally cruel.

One thing would worry me though about letting battery farmed hens out. I grew up on a farm where we had hens and to put it bluntly, hens are extremely stupid creatures who do rather dumb things - we had one who used to crash into doors and if chased my my baby brother would sit down and wait to be caught (or more likely, would end up tripping him up inadvertently). There would be a constant slaughter of hens because they would go out and wander down the middle of roads before sitting down in front of oncoming cars.

I worry about releasing animals that were reared in captivity that they may be chronically unsuited to unfettered freedom because they have no experience of it and so would be, if you pardon the expression, sitting ducks for predators, accidents, etc. When released they really should be released in controlled conditions where they can be protected from predators or their own mistakes, at least for a time while they adjust to their surroundings. Release hens straight from a battery farm and they are likely to wander out onto roads, and be exceptionally easy prey for foxes, dogs, etc. They will end up killed very quickly.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.