Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntingdon Animal Rights Activists Sentenced

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Huntingdon Animal Rights Activists Sentenced

The Press Association: Animal rights activists jailed

Five animal rights activists who intimidated companies linked to Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) in an attempt to close down the animal testing lab have been sentenced to between six years and 15 months in prison.
    Sarah Whitehead, 53, Nicole Vosper, 22, Thomas Harris, 27, Jason Mullan, 32, and Nicola Tapping, 29, were all members of Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (Shac).
    The youngest member of the conspiracy Alfie Fitzpatrick, 21, received a 12-month prison sentence suspended for two years and was ordered to complete 100 hours of community work.
    Good, strong sentences for those involved. This really was a nasty 7 years campaign of blackmail and intimidation against people trying to do their legal day to day work.

Employees of the company (And supplying companies) were subject to a campaign that involved criminal damage at their homes, bomb threats, phone threats and issuing leaflets to their neighbours saying they were paedophiles.

The total cost to the company between repairs and increased security was 12 million.

One good thing to emerge is that this has now caused the police to form a new department solely to deal with this sort of focused abuse.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

very nasty campaign

And to think people very close to the Green party support Shac UK.......amazing Country we live in when our close neighbour consider these people to be terrorists and we allow their sort to advise the greens on policy..........
    Politics Mods.....where were you when the mink were released?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These so called activists took away from the fact that

animals are being used cruelly in so called scientific experiments,

any activism should be carried out solely in regard to the law

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good work hopefully more will continue to terrorize Huntingdon Life Sciences

I agree with the verdict of the trial, false accusations and smear campaigns are disingenuous at the least and always a corrupting influence in public debate. I'm sympathetic to their cause, but false information is inexcusable.

However, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdotcom View Post
    any activism should be carried out solely in regard to the law
    , I don't quite agree with so much.
    I'm sure Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Thoreau, and Percy Shelley would all disagree with you as well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Demented lunatics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC the UK government even had to order the Bank of England to provide Huntingdon with retail banking facilities as all the High Street banks were intimidated out of handling their business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should be hung. Good thing this company made $30million this year.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for people involved in animal testing getting harrased on every level possible, but not those who've obviously had no involvement.
    Hardly surprised the old folks around here feel different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast