Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 203 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: I assumed the Assumption was Real. It's not.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I assumed the Assumption was Real. It's not.

Our Lady, Virgin Mother of Jesus, was only assumed into Heaven in 1950 by Pope Pius X11, I found out when reading last night. That was nice of him, wasn't it? A bit late though? I mean, what was she, nearly 2,000 years old by then?

Did you know that Constantine, him that ensured the Christian faith flourished and was accepted, was a mammy's boy. She found the cave where Jesus had been buried. She found the cave where Jesus had been born. She even found the cave where Jesus lived! She did! Very fond of caves was the mother of Emperor Constantine. Never occured to her that he might have lived in a nice two storey house with a carpenters workshop in the grounds.

But the best part about Emperor Constantine who murdered his own son by the way, was that he boiled his wife to death in her own bath! Nice man. Thank God he was around to save the faith.

Would yiz leave me something to bleedingwell believe in! Would jas?

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where in the name of the Lord did Mary spend the intervening 1,917 odd years? Working as a barmaid in a boozer in Jerusalem? There are a couple of holes in this whole Jesus thing when you start looking into it.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Assumption may not have been made church dogma until 1950, but it was Christian traditon since the early church. The Orthodox church also has a version of this called Dormition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What???!!!!!!!!!!! A religion that makes up a load of nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Our Lady, Virgin Mother of Jesus, was only assumed into Heaven in 1950 by Pope Pius X11, I found out when reading last night. That was nice of him, wasn't it? A bit late though? I mean, what was she, nearly 2,000 years old by then?
    Oh my, oh my....The tradition that St Mary after her death and burial was assumed into Heaven body and soul prefiguring the general resurrection is pre-Nicene.

Politics.ie Member An Gilladaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    Where in the name of the Lord did Mary spend the intervening 1,917 odd years? Working as a barmaid in a boozer in Jerusalem? There are a couple of holes in this whole Jesus thing when you start looking into it.
    Just be careful not to fall into any of them holes you might not be able to get out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    There are a couple of holes in this whole Jesus thing when you start looking into it.
    I did that and I found out he wasn't even called Jesus. Sure when they even have his name wrong.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you know that Constantine, him that ensured the Christian faith flourished and was accepted, was a mammy's boy. She found the cave where Jesus had been buried. She found the cave where Jesus had been born. She even found the cave where Jesus lived! She did! Very fond of caves was the mother of Emperor Constantine. Never occured to her that he might have lived in a nice two storey house with a carpenters workshop in the grounds.

But the best part about Emperor Constantine who murdered his own son by the way, was that he boiled his wife to death in her own bath! Nice man. Thank God he was around to save the faith.

Would yiz leave me something to bleedingwell believe in! Would jas?
    You seem disappointed it was only made up 60 years ago instead of only being made up 2,000 years ago.

Either way, made up.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe it was the True Cross St Helen is most famous for finding...And she was a pretty strong woman in her own right...Calling him a mammy's boy is worse than silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I quite like to think of Mary blasting off from Earth up and out into the heavens. I wonder how many light years she is away, and where she'd have got to on this map

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U]YouTube - The Known Universe by AMNH[/ame]

Page 1 of 203 123451151101 ... LastLast