Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Money and banking. A try to understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Money and banking. A try to understand.

OK so far I think I have learned that money is a commodity that was created to replace barter. At first, as gold or metal coins, it had an actual intrinsic value. Apparently, people took to hoarding it in the goldsmiths vaults, and upon doing so would be given a written receipt declaring the value of what had been lodged. Before too long these notes themselves came to be used as money because they were lighter and more convenient than gold. All good so far. Seems that there couldn't be any civilisation without such a commodity as money.

What happened next though, was that the sneaky vault owners, God damn them, realised that they could make as much paper money as they liked, and that they could charge people gold to lend it out to them. Rather than legislate against this terrible and obvious scam, the powers that be (rich people), decided that it was a Very Good Scam, and they let it continue. After a while they made it so that the paper receipts didn't even represent gold anymore. And here we are today.

This appears to my catholic indoctrinated mind be a fairly immoral state of affairs. I really don't think it's what Jesus would have wanted at all. Therefore I am wondering what steps could be taken to put it right, and what consequences they might have. For instance, can we set everything to zero, and then start again with representative money that uses energy as its standard, measured in kilowatt hours? Is it possible to outlaw the system where private banks create the money supply out of thin air?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your post doesnt mention Ireland. Sync will be along to move it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ocoonassa View Post
    OK so far I think I have learned that money is a commodity that was created to replace barter. At first, as gold or metal coins, it had an actual intrinsic value. Apparently, people took to hoarding it in the goldsmiths vaults, and upon doing so would be given a written receipt declaring the value of what had been lodged. Before too long these notes themselves came to be used as money because they were lighter and more convenient than gold. All good so far. Seems that there couldn't be any civilisation without such a commodity as money.

What happened next though, was that the sneaky vault owners, God damn them, realised that they could make as much paper money as they liked, and that they could charge people gold to lend it out to them. Rather than legislate against this terrible and obvious scam, the powers that be (rich people), decided that it was a Very Good Scam, and they let it continue. After a while they made it so that the paper receipts didn't even represent gold anymore. And here we are today.

This appears to my catholic indoctrinated mind be a fairly immoral state of affairs. I really don't think it's what Jesus would have wanted at all. Therefore I am wondering what steps could be taken to put it right, and what consequences they might have. For instance, can we set everything to zero, and then start again with representative money that uses energy as its standard, measured in kilowatt hours? Is it possible to outlaw the system where private banks create the money supply out of thin air?
    Ofcourse now that you've realised this 'They' will be coming to get you!

The only way of ever changing the system is a nuclear holocaust wiping mankind off the face of the earth or atleast putting a bit of manners on the few survivours.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you wanted to control Industrial Output of the world economy then the linking of currency to Carbon might be a way to go.

No one would fall for that though, would they?

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does receipt of signals due to the wearing of pointy hats made of aluminium foil count as economics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Does receipt of signals due to the wearing of pointy hats made of aluminium foil count as economics?
    Papa Ratzy said people like you are like Nazi's.

Ideas police now is it?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    The only way of ever changing the system is a nuclear holocaust wiping mankind off the face of the earth or atleast putting a bit of manners on the few survivours.
    I'm 50/50 on that eoghanacht but I still have hope. Don't let the bastards kill your hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Toland I often see you contributing on economics threads, and you seem to have a very good grasp of the jargon and terminology involved in the financial industry. I would hope that if what I am asking in the OP is offensive to you, that you would at least say why. I don't consider myself as part of the tinfoil hat brigade, I am just trying to understand how the current system could be improved upon. Your input would be appreciated.

Politics.ie Member Mister_Jinks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Your post doesnt mention Ireland. Sync will be along to move it...
    Very good a chara

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRCzt0VH18w]YouTube - The History of Money - Part 2[/ame]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast