Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Recession the Movie. The Irish Times.

Default Recession the Movie. The Irish Times.

Recession - The Movie Competition - irishtimes.com

The first film to give me nightmares was "The Man Who Couldn't be Hanged", starring Boris Karlof, the fourpenny rush, the Inchicore cinema childrens matinee, 1949. I was seven.

Then came the Frankenstein monster, The Wolfman, Dracula, The Devil Rides Out, The Fiends (French version), Psycho, and Alien.

After those classics few horror movies do the trick these days.

So c'mon guys create! We definitely need another good fright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A young poor looser called Aladdin O'Brien sneaks into a deep dark bank and meets a manager called Gene. Gene grants Aladdin three loans, and these loans turn Aladdin into a wealthy and powerful property developer.

But it all ends unhappily when Gene refuses to grant more loans, and Aladdin returns to being a poor looser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hear Paranormal Activity is pretty scary. When I think of a modern scary movie I think of The Blair Witch Project.

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post
    I hear Paranormal Activity is pretty scary. When I think of a modern scary movie I think of The Blair Witch Project.
    I remember the long queues outside the Oxford cimema in M/C UK for "Psycho", it was the first time I ever witnessed a really frightened adult audience. Many still clutched almost full boxes of chocolates when leaving the cinema stunned with fear.
    My wife left finger impressions on my arm! Not since "The Thing" had she been so frightened.

A decade or so later our children watched "Psycho" on TV and were not that impressed!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched Psycho when I was a youngster on TV with my parents. I was so scared that I couldn't watch the final part when the dead mother is discovered. To this day I have not seen that part of the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought "The Others" was a great scary movie. The recession is more like a surreal horror comedy, like "Brazil" or some such.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Recession - The Movie Competition - irishtimes.com

The first film to give me nightmares was "The Man Who Couldn't be Hanged", starring Boris Karlof, the fourpenny rush, the Inchicore cinema childrens matinee, 1949. I was seven.

Then came the Frankenstein monster, The Wolfman, Dracula, The Devil Rides Out, The Fiends (French version), Psycho, and Alien.

After those classics few horror movies do the trick these days.

So c'mon guys create! We definitely need another good fright.
    I think there's a dearth of creative movie writers, or more possible a dearth of investors, for any new horror movies beyond the schlock that is curently produced.
    Most "horror" now are just gore-fests or psycho-fests. See one and you can safely ignore the rest. Given the characterisation of the "victims" I end up rooting for the psycho in sheer disgust. "Oh, I'll just wander off on my own down this dark cellar with this wimpy little torch and let the psycho get me."

A re-release of The Day of the Triffids, the original British movie, might get people going. If it's shown in black and white.
    It scared the heck out of me when I first saw it, in black and white even though it was in colour. (a B+W tv at the time)
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post
    I watched Psycho when I was a youngster on TV with my parents. I was so scared that I couldn't watch the final part when the dead mother is discovered. To this day I have not seen that part of the movie.
    It's worth seeing. On today at the National Concert Hall!

Yes myksav, but even the Triffids cannot compare with [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAkoCRRJvw"]YouTube - Kate Bush in "NIGHT OF THE DEMON" (Hounds Of Love)[/ame] How did I forget it!? A classic horror film!

Just back from Newgrange where children are doing Hallow'een projects and hundreds of tourists are marvelling at the ancient flying saucer replica which was erected in atonement for what befell it's occupants from way way out there... much further than planet Cael!
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 24th October 2010 at 05:37 PM.