Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Jane Austen's Style Due To Editor?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Jane Austen's Style Due To Editor?

An interesting article from BBC claims that Austen's style may be down to her editor.

BBC News - Jane Austen's style might not be hers, academic claims

Not sure if Austen is on the secondary schools English courses but might this cause some teachers to reconsider their lessons?

Regards...jmcc

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But what would it matter? The writing is brilliant. The stories are great. The overall picture of life for those other than us peasants is illuminating.

I love reading Jane Austin books.

Jane Austin, like William Shakespeare was an excellent pre 20th century psychologist. She excelled at understanding the complicated dynamics between Men and Women.

For example, the character Mr Darcy is a timeless enigma of what attracts women to men. On the one hand, arrogant, over confident, a difficult challenge, but ultimately on the other hand, a complete sense of self control, so much so he could change his ways against the social norms of the time to win the heart of a woman that he loves.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    But what would it matter? The writing is brilliant. The stories are great. The overall picture of life for those other than us peasants is illuminating.

I love reading Jane Austin books.
    But are you reading her books?

Regards...jmcc

Napoleonic wars were raging in Europe and Jane was far too busy with more important stuff.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    But are you reading her books?

Regards...jmcc
    Am I not bad enough jmcc, confusing a lunatic even more. Don't care who wrote them. Love them.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Napoleonic wars were raging in Europe and Jane was far too busy with more important stuff.
    I know, isn't it disgraceful. When she should have been off fighting on the Russian Front, or manning the guns at Dover Castle. Selfish woman. What am i thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I know, isn't it disgraceful. When she should have been off fighting on the Russian Front, or manning the guns at Dover Castle. Selfish woman. What am i thinking of.

You would think at least one of her characters would have at least mentioned the wars.

A teacher pointed that out to me many decades ago.

But I do know, fiction is fiction.